Deviled eggs are kind of having a moment, and for good reason: Not only are eggs inexpensive and highly nutritious, but deviled eggs are gluten-free, paleo and generally vegetarian (sorry, vegans. Here, check out this delicious beet soup). Even better, deviled eggs are super-customizable. Here, I swap out traditional mayonnaise for creamy avocado (which I prefer over mayo on sandwiches anyway), mash it together with my egg yolks and add in classic guacamole flavorings.
Since these are a riff on guacamole, I mash the filling by hand with a fork, rather than pureeing in a food processor, so as to keep some of those delicious lumps that guacamole is so famous for. If, however, you prefer silky-smooth yolks, feel free to use a blender or food processor.
I love these on their own, as part of an array of appetizers, or atop lightly-dressed greens for a high-protein, low-carbohydrate lunch. Whatever you do, be sure to eat these soon after you make them, since the avocado will start to brown slightly if you wait too long. I don't think it'll be a problem though--I barely got through taking photos of these without devouring them.
- 6 eggs, hardboiled $1.50
- 1/2 ripe avocado $1.50 for 1
- 2 green onions, minced $0.50
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves (a very small handful)$1 for a bunch
- 1/4 jalapeño (seeds intact if you like spicy--discard them if not), finely chopped $0.25
- juice of 1/4 lime $0.50 for a whole lime
- salt to taste Pantry
- red pepper flakes Optional
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Let the eggs cool completely after hard-boiling them.
- Slice each egg lengthwise and gently pop out the yolks. place the yolks in a bowl and arrange the eggs on a serving platter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, avocado, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and salt. Use the back of a fork to smash well. (It's OK to leave a few lumps: you want the mixture to be creamy, but not perfectly smooth).
- Use a spoon to heap the guacamole mixture into the egg whites.
- Top with a thin slices of lime, jalapeño, and/or red pepper flakes, if desired.