Fresh Flour Tortillas
- Prep Time 0:45
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $0.00
- 4 Comments
A $0 recipe? Could it be true?
Indeed it can, if you have a pantry stocked with the bare-bone basics.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling Pantry
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 1 tsp salt Pantry
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for bowl Pantry
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp warm water
- In a bowl, stand-up mixer, or food processor, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and mix (use a fork if mixing in a bowl--run machine if using a stand-up mixer or food processor).
- Slowly stream in warm water, continuing to mix, until a very sticky dough forms.
- Knead, either by hand on a floured surface or in machine, until dough is very smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes by hand, 1-2 minutes using a machine).
- Transfer kneaded dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Once dough has rested, transfer to a lightly floured surface and use a sharp knife to cut into 12 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a round ball. Allow to rest on floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll each ball into a 6-7" circle (don't worry if it's not perfectly round--misshapen tortillas have character).
- Heat 2 large frying pans (to expedite total cooking time) over medium-high heat (don't add any oil).
- Cook the tortillas, a few at a time in the skillets, for 30-60 seconds on each side. They should have a few brown spots, but not too many. Make sure they are soft as opposed to crisp.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 small tortillas.