Fresh Flour Tortillas
- Prep Time 0:45
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $0.00
- 6 Comments
A $0 recipe? Could it be true?
Indeed it can, if you have a pantry stocked with the bare-bone basics.
If you, like me, secretly love Chevy’s for the “El Machino” tortillas, make these even fresher, tastier ones and serve them simply with fresh butter or with tacos, fajitas, or alongside soup.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling Pantry
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 1 tsp salt Pantry
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for bowl Pantry
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp warm water
- In a bowl, stand-up mixer, or food processor, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and mix (use a fork if mixing in a bowl--run machine if using a stand-up mixer or food processor).
- Slowly stream in warm water, continuing to mix, until a very sticky dough forms.
- Knead, either by hand on a floured surface or in machine, until dough is very smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes by hand, 1-2 minutes using a machine).
- Transfer kneaded dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Once dough has rested, transfer to a lightly floured surface and use a sharp knife to cut into 12 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a round ball. Allow to rest on floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll each ball into a 6-7" circle (don't worry if it's not perfectly round--misshapen tortillas have character).
- Heat 2 large frying pans (to expedite total cooking time) over medium-high heat (don't add any oil).
- Cook the tortillas, a few at a time in the skillets, for 30-60 seconds on each side. They should have a few brown spots, but not too many. Make sure they are soft as opposed to crisp.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 small tortillas.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
HMS, on Jul 21, 10:15 PM, wrote:
This is a great and simple recipe. I am a student and this is the kind of stuff my friends and I love, so thanks for all the great posts
Corinne, on Aug 11, 06:22 PM, wrote:
Oh my goodness, these are fantastic! I ended up making 17 tortillas from this recipe, as I made them pretty thin. I made a crock pot of taco beans, some salsa fresca and we’ll pair it all with salad and fresh mozzarella. Lordy bigordy, this is good stuff, thank you!
Ally, on Oct 6, 11:06 AM, wrote:
Can you make these with whole wheat flour?
먹튀사이트, on Nov 13, 09:57 PM, wrote:
There’s noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure good points in features also. 먹튀사이트 https://www.totosafeguide.com
안전놀이터, on Sep 22, 12:06 AM, wrote:
I read your article very well. You write very well. I’ll come back again next time.
Escorts San Miguel Argentina, on Oct 20, 04:35 AM, wrote:
Esta es una receta increíble y sencilla. Leí bastante bien tu artículo. Realmente compones bien. Volveré de nuevo en algún momento más tarde.