Veggie Bin Noodle Soup
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:40
- Estimated Cost $5.75
- 17 Comments
Kite-happy founding father Benjamin Franklin made famous the English proverb “waste not, want not,” a phrase I take very seriously, especially when it comes to cooking. The basics needed for this flavorful soup’s broth are nothing more than water, garlic, ginger and soy sauce, but it will gladly accommodate any vegetable (or vegetable scraps) that are just sitting around in your refrigerator, getting closer and closer to being unusable. Just chop them up and throw them in and then strain them along with the garlic and ginger.
I like to use thick, chewy Chinese wheat noodles in this recipe, but thin fresh ramen, rice noodles or even spaghetti will also work.
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed Pantry
- 1 medium chunk ginger, chopped $0.50
- 3 tbsp soy sauce Pantry
- 1/2 lb fresh Chinese noodles or ramen $1.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly $0.50
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, sliced thinly $1
- 1 small bunch (handful) cilantro leaves $1
- 1 green jalapeño, sliced thinly (optional) $0.25
- 3 scallions, sliced $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 4
- Fill a large soup pot with 3 quarts of water and the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and whatever vegetables and/or herbs you have laying around (chopped onions, green beans, frozen peas, chopped eggplant, sliced tomatoes, chopped celery, etc). Cover with fitted lid and cook over medium-high heat for 30-40 minutes, or until very fragrant.
- Strain mixture, discarding solids. Return broth to pot and taste. If needed, add salt and pepper to taste. Bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add noodles, carrots and cabbage. Cook for 7-8 minutes, or until noodles are al dente.
- Ladle soup into bowls, using tongs to make sure noodles are divided evenly. Garnish with cilantro, jalapeño, scallions and/or whatever fresh herbs or condiments you have (hot sauce, hoisin, etc). Serve hot.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
katie, on Jul 21, 09:45 PM, wrote:
made this tonight – delicious!