White Bean, Leek and Bacon Soup
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $6.00
- 11 Comments
This wildly inexpensive and simple soup is so deeply satisfying and luxurious-tasting that it can make a perfectly lovely meal on its own. If I’m having company over, I serve it with spinach-cranberry salad and crusty sourdough rolls.
- 2 15-oz. cans white beans $3
- 1 small leek, ends removed and sliced (reserve a few slices for garnish) $0.50
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped $1
- 1/8 cup half-and-half $1.50 for a pint
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-4
- Combine beans, leek slices, bacon, and 1 cup water in a soup pot. Cover tightly and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until leeks are soft and fragrant. Puree using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor. Stir in half-and-half and salt and pepper to taste (make sure to taste it as the bacon provides a fair amount of salt).
- Cook for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Serve garnished with leek slices.