Cilantro Pesto-Stuffed Chicken Breasts over Pinto Beans
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $16.00
- 10 Comments
Stuffed chicken breasts are a great way to make your dinner look really fancy without a lot of effort. Plus, after a long day there are few things more satisfying than pounding raw chicken with a mallet.
Lentils or black beans would also be good as a base for the chicken.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts $7
- 1 small bunch cilantro plus extra for garnish $2
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled Pantry
- olive oil Pantry
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 15 oz. can refried or whole pinto beans $1.50
Recipe Serves 2
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use 1 tsp olive oil to lightly grease a baking dish.
- Place a chicken breast between 2 pieces of wax paper and pound to 1/4" thickness using a mallet or a rolling pin. Repeat with second breast.
- In a food processor or blender, combine cilantro, garlic, 3 tbsps olive oil, lemon juice and zest and mozzarella until a chunky paste forms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble chicken. spread half of the pesto over the top of a chicken breast. Roll up tightly to form a cylinder and secure using toothpicks. Repeat with second chicken breast and remaining pesto. Place in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just cooked. Test the chicken by cutting a slice to see if the chicken has cooked all the way through before serving.
- While chicken bakes, drain the beans and heat in a small pot over medium high heat with 3 tbsp water added until hot. Mash with a fork until mostly smooth. Season lightly with salt.
- To serve, divide portions of the beans onto 2 plates. Cut chicken into 1" pinwheel slices and serve over beans. Garnish with additional cilantro.