Black Bean and Chicken Purses
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $15.00
- 17 Comments
- 10 large egg roll wrappers $2 for 30
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes $5
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained $1
- 3 scallions, sliced $1 for a bunch
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped $1
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped $0.50
- 1/2 white onion, chopped $0.50
- 2 cups spinach leaves, cleaned and dried $1
- 1/2 tsp chili powder $1.50 for 1 oz.
- olive oil for brushing Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- sour cream (optional) $1.50 for 4 oz
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until chicken begins to turn white. Add black beans, scallions, bell pepper, spinach, chili powder and salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes, just until spinach breaks down and chicken is fully-cooked. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- To assemble purses, set an egg roll wrapper on a clean, dry surface. Wet the edges using a spoon or pastry brush and then put about 3 tablespoons of the chicken-bean mixture in the center of the wrapper. Gather the corners of the wrapper and press together. There isn’t much art to this part—just seal them and let them fall where they will. Repeat until all wrappers and filling are used up. Transfer purses to baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until purses are golden-brown. Serve with sour cream for dipping.
Makes 10 samosas.