Truffled Mac and Cheese
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 1 Comment
Truffles, usually considered off-limits in my BrokeAss kitchen, make this simple macaroni and cheese recipe decadent and unique, thanks to Trader Joes’ very reasonably-priced Italian Truffle Cheese. I skip a bread-crumb topping so as not to overpower the truffles’ subtlety, and serve it with just a whisper of freshly-ground black pepper.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni $1
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for pan/ramekins $1 for a stick
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour Pantry
- 1 cup whole milk $1.50 for a pint
- 5 oz. Italian truffle cheese, shredded $6 for 8 oz.
- salt to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Preheat broiler on high. Lightly butter 4 oven-proof bowls/large ramekins or 1 8" baking pan.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- While macaroni cooks, melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour until a sticky dough forms. Very slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until a creamy white sauce forms. Add shredded truffle cheese, whisking to encourage melting. Once all cheese has melted, remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta and use a rubber scraper to combine well.
- Scrape macaroni and cheese sauce into prepared bowls/ramekins/pan. Place under broiler, just until a very light golden-brown crust forms on top.
- Serve hot.