Sweet Potato-Andouille Hash
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $7.25
- 12 Comments
This has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts (or lunches dinners, for that matter). It’s a fast, flavorful, high-protein dish, with just enough of a kick from the spicy Andouille sausage and jalapeño. Serve some seared spinach or some steamed broccoli with lemon, and you’ll have an easy, healthy meal, that will keep you satisfied for hours.
If you’re in a rush and need to eat on the go, scramble your eggs right into the hash, and tuck it into whole wheat tortillas or pita pockets, for a unique take on the breakfast burrito.
Note: If you’re not a fan of Andouille, this hash will accommodate just about any other kind of sausage. I’ve enjoyed it with garlic-cilantro chicken sausages, kielbasa, and even vegetarian chorizo. Feel free to be creative.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2" pieces $1.50
- 1/2 medium onion, diced $0.50 for a whole onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 link Andouille sausage, diced $1.50 for a single link
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced (remove the seeds and veins if you want to cut some of the spiciness) $0.25
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 2 scallions, sliced $1 for a bunch
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 2 eggs, cooked as desired (I prefer poached or sunnyside-up) $1.50 for 6
Recipe Serves 2
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes and spread out so they cook evenly.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until they begin to soften and develop a bit of color.
- Add the onion, garlic, sausage and jalapeño and stir well.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage begins to brown and the onions become quite flavorful (this is a good time to start your eggs).
- Season hash with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the scallions and cilantro into the hash and remove from heat.
- Divide the hash between 2 plates and slide an egg on top of each.
- Serve immediately.