Bangkok-Style Deviled Eggs
- Prep Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $5.50
- 33 Comments
Today, I decided to devil some of my favorite Southeast Asian flavors...
Deviling hard-boiled eggs are such a fantastic canvas for flavors. Want truffles and white pepper? Devil it up, baby! Red peppers and olive oil? You devil, you! Even whimsical green eggs and ham can be made palatable by way of the deviled egg (eating them in a box with a fox is, of course, totally optional).
So today, I decided to devil some of my favorite Southeast Asian flavors--spicy chili sauce, fresh cilantro, perky garlic and sliced scallions. The result was a fun, totally unique appetizer, unlike any deviled egg I've ever had before.
I went the simple route of spooning the egg mixture into the whites, but feel free to get a little fancier with a pastry bag.
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and peeled (Need help with this? Click here.) $1.50
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise Pantry
- juice and zest of 1 lime $0.50
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves $1 for a bunch
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce Pantry
- freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) Asian chili sauce (like Sriracha or sambal) $1.50 for 8 oz.
- 2 scallions, sliced, divided (reserve a few slices for garnish) $1 for a bunch
- 1 clove garlic, smashed Pantry
- additional optional garnishes: julienned carrot (the pre-shredded kind is great to use here), julienned cucumber, thin slices of mint, ground, toasted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds (white or black), thin slices of jalapeño
Recipe Serves 6
- Slice the cooled, peeled eggs in half lengthwise, and gently pop the yolks into a food processor or blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the zest and any optional garnishes you choose to use).
- Blend until smooth.
- To fill the empty egg white halves, either use a spoon to carefully fill each one, or scrape the yolk mixture into a plastic baggie (or pastry bag), snip a 1/2" hole at the bottom, and pipe the mixture decoratively into each egg white.
- Serve topped delicately with scallions and more chili sauce, plus any of the optional toppings, if you are so inclined.