Savory Matzah Brei
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $7.50
- 11 Comments
In the late eighties, my mom decided to get herself a Ph.D.This meant many nights of graduate school and dissertation writing…and that my father would be cooking dinner. While he can’t cook like my mother, this matzah brei was a favorite standby in our house.
- 2 tablespoons butter $1 for a stick
- 1 medium onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cups milk $1.50 for 1 qt
- 2 eggs $1.50 for 6
- 6 sheets matzah $3 for a box
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- Pour the milk into a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs until fully incorporated. Break the matzah into pieces and place in the egg-milk mixture, pushing down the matzah to ensure that it is fully covered by the liquid. Set aside and allow to soak for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. When the matzah has soaked for long enough, add the whole bowl's contents to the frying pan and allow to cook, scraping the pan occasionally with a spatula, until the almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. The texture should resemble scrambled eggs.
- To serve, divide it onto 2 plates and garnish with onion salt and freshly cracked pepper.