$5 Dessert: Ginger-Caramel Baked Apples
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $4.50
- 36 Comments
These baked apples are a refreshing twist on a classic dish. I like to make them when I’m expecting company because they make the entire house smell amazing.
- 2 Fuji, Gala, or Granny Smith apples $1
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces $1 for a stick
- 2 tbsp sour cream $1.50
- 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced $1
- 1/8 cup sugar Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut off the top of each apple, about 1" down. Set aside.
- Use a paring knife to scoop out the cores of the apples, creating a hole about 2" deep and 2" wide in each apple. Carefully cut about 1/8" off of the bottoms of the apples so that each apple has a flat base.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, sour cream, ginger and sugar. Divide evenly between the 2 apples and pack into the hollow centers. Replace the apple tops and bake for 30 minutes or until the apples have softened and the skin crinkles.