Roast Chicken with Rosemary-Walnut Pesto
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 25 Comments
This chicken dish is homey yet classy. The warm scents of rosemary and garlic made my kitchen smell amazing and the chicken was the delicious match with a simple green salad and crusty sourdough bread. I used a robust extra virgin olive oil in the pesto—perfect for standing up to the bold lemon and rosemary flavors in this dish.
- 2 skin-on chicken breasts $5
- 1/4 cup walnuts $2
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley $1
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled Pantry
- 3 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- leaves from 2 twigs fresh rosemary $1
- 1 lemon, half juiced and zested, half sliced $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine walnuts, parsley, garlic, olive oil, rosemary, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper in a food processor until a chunky paste forms.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and slather pesto between the chicken skin and flesh and on top of the skin. Top chicken with lemon slices and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is juicy. Place under broiler for a few moments to lightly crisp skin. Serve hot.