Herb Pesto Pizza with Shaved Asparagus and Fresh Eggs
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:12
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 8 Comments
So basically, I went to the farmers market and then turned my purchases into a pizza. The herbs, garlic, cheese, vegetables and eggs are all locally-grown and fresh. If you’re avoiding dairy, the cheese can easily be omitted—it’ll be just as delicious.
- flour for dusting and rolling Pantry
- 1/2 recipe pizza dough $1.50 for a whole recipe
- 1 handful cilantro $1 for a bunch
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley $1 for a bunch
- 3 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled Pantry
- 1/8 cup raw almonds $2
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar or mozzarella cheese $3 for 8 oz.
- 6 stalks asparagus $3 for a bunch
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced $0.50
- 2-3 eggs $1.50 for 6
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Preheat oven 475 degrees F. Lightly dust a baking sheet or pizza pan with flour and set aside.
- Place herbs, olive oil, garlic and almonds in a food processor or blender and puree into a slightly chunky pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To shave the asparagus, lay a stalk on a cutting board and carefully run a vegetable peeler over the length of the vegetable, creating a thin strip. Continue until all that is left is as thin strip of asparagus and repeat with remaining asparagus. Set with other pizza ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll pizza out into a 12" circle. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Spread pesto over base of dough, leaving a 1" border. Sprinkle with cheese. Crack eggs over cheese. Top with shaved asparagus and tomato slices. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is crisp and browned on the edges.
- Sprinkle with red chili flakes, if desired.