The Wonders of Pizza Dough

Everyone should have a ball of fresh pizza dough in their refrigerator at all times. It’s ridiculously easy and you can make SO many things out of it. Here’s my recipe for enough pizza dough to last several days…

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups flour Pantry
  • 1 cup warm water Pantry
  • 1 packet dry active yeast $1.50
  • 2 tbsp sugar Pantry
  • 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for the bowl Pantry
  • 1 tsp salt Pantry

Directions

1. Combine water, yeast and sugar and set aside in a warm place until it begins to foam (4-5 minutes).
  2. Meanwhile in a bowl, mixer w/paddle or a food processor, combine salt and flour. Slowly stream in the yeast mixture and add the olive oil. If using a mixer or food processor, turn on and allow ingredients to combine until they form a ball of dough. If you're using a mixer, now is the time to switch to the dough hook. Knead (either by turning on your machine or by hand) for 2-3 minutes. Set aside in an oiled bowl, covered with a damp dish towel in a warm place (like an oven that has been turned on and then turned off and allowed to cool a bit but is still warm) for 30 minutes.
  3. After dough has doubled in size, punch down and allow to rise for another 30 minutes (20 if you're impatient) then you can do almost ANYTHING! See below my favorite uses for pizza dough.
  • Pizza, obviously. Sauce (I like pesto), cheeses (or not!), veggies, meats, whatever. Bake at 475 on a floured pizza pan or stone for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
  • Calzones Simply roll dough out into an 6-inch circle, fill with your favorite ingredients, fold over, pinch the edges together until sealed, brush the top with olive oil and bake at 475F on a floured baking tray for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.
  • Cinnamon rolls They can even be prepared the night before and left in the refrigerator and then baked in the morning. Roll dough out into a 12-inch by 8-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up tightly to form an 8-inch cylinder. Cut into 1-inch slices and bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes. To make a quick glaze, combine 1/4 cup melted butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and drizzle over hot cinnamon rolls.
  • Flatbread I love to roll out a small ball of dough, sprinkle it lightly with sea salt (or garlic and fresh parsley if I'm feeling festive!), and fry it in 1 teaspoon of olive oil on both sides until it is bubbly and browned in spots. Can be served like naan with Indian food or as a delicious accompaniment to soups. Also delicious sliced in wedges and served with hummus or topped with lightly dressed baby spinach and goat cheese and folded over. Instant dinner.
  • Homemade tortillas While not a strictly traditional tortilla recipe, thinly rolled and lightly fried bits of pizza dough double very tastily as flour tortillas. I especially love to fill them with cotija cheese, black beans, avocado, onions and cilantro.
  • Parmesan bread sticks These are a great way to make a simple salad seem like a special dinner. Simply roll pieces of pizza dough into thin-ish 6-inch cylinders and twist. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and sea salt and bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes until the bottoms are browned and the cheese is melted and brown in spots.

Nearly every yeasted bread dough can be substituted by pizza dough. I am telling you, keep this stuff in your fridge--it'll last in a plastic airtight bag for about a week--and you will never go hungry or order takeout unnecessarily again.

Category: Meals

Tags: ,

Share this Recipe: Share on Facebook Tweet This! Pin it on Pinterest

lo, on Mar 18, 10:46 AM, wrote:

Honestly, I make my own pizza dough… but it never occurred to me to keep it on hand in the fridge. Brilliant.

Lots of creative ideas for the dough here too!

Bobby, on Mar 23, 05:54 PM, wrote:

Thanks for the recipe, and massive, massive respect for all those of generations past who performed this feat on a regular basis without the aid of an electric mixer…such as the one that died as I was preparing this. Oy.

Jen, on Mar 24, 03:48 PM, wrote:

This was so easy to make. I had friends over for a Pizza and Pajamas party, and it made enough for 4 individual pizzas/calzones. Delish!

jaime, on May 26, 08:24 AM, wrote:

Hi I have a question… if I make dough, how long can it sit in the fridge before it is no longer good? thank you!

Jeff, on Aug 31, 05:34 AM, wrote:

you can also break up the dough into small flat discs and fry them, then coat in powdered sugar – it’s just like a funnel cake.

jess, on Jan 21, 11:35 AM, wrote:

nina, on Jul 16, 11:14 PM, wrote:

Just made the pizza dough – its super yummy – I put sausage mozz onion and mushroom on top and it came out pretty good . My first time making dough AND i mixed and kneaded it by hand.

Haden, on Jul 17, 06:59 PM, wrote:

Yum! Super easy, mixed by hand which was fun. Topped w/ caramelized onion, roast garlic, cambozola (not brokeass, but a girl’s gotta have her luxuries), fresh basil, mozzarella w/ white sauce. Heaven. We’ll be keeping this around. Thanks for great site, I’ve told all my friends!

Toby Orzano, on Aug 9, 05:21 PM, wrote:

Great recipe to start with, but I took some liberty with it. I substituted 1 cup of flour for whole wheat flour without it affecting the texture much. I might try even more whole wheat next time. Also, I use rapid rise yeast (also called instant yeast or bread machine yeast). You don’t have to wait for it to activate and you don’t need as much as dry active yeast. This time I put about 1 1/2 tsp rapid rise (equivalent to about half a packet) and it really took off! Also, in brokeass spirit, I buy it in the 4oz jars, which is significantly cheaper than packets.

Kristen, on Oct 25, 05:42 PM, wrote:

Oh my goodness, you are just AMAZING! I’m so making this dough and trying every single idea you listed, lol. I was so happy to see that we share a love for figs and sweet/salty combos. Can’t wait to try the fig prosciutto pizza :)! My mouth is watering!

I agree with Bobby. I used to make cake mix cookies and they would break even the most expensive mixers (we didn’t make them too often, so we forgot and broke a mixer a second time : /). Those two times having to make cakes and such without a mixer stunk! Especially cream cheese pound cake. Talk about a workout!

Kate3651, on Feb 14, 11:00 PM, wrote:

I started making your pizza dough last week and it’s amazing! Tonight was the 3rd batch, and each time I’m amazed at how delicious and easy it is. Thank you for finally getting me over my fear of pizza-making!

Jerry McKenney, Alisha's brother, on Sep 13, 03:22 PM, wrote:

Thank you sp much for this recipe, I have the tools, now to practice.

Zyxenfryx, on May 5, 02:53 PM, wrote:

I made this recipe and did some research. If you want to make New York style, thinner pizza, use a higher protein flour like bread flour and knead it after rising for 5-7 minutes to form some gluten, which makes the dough more elastic for stretching without ripping. Also, a simple youtube search will yield some good tutorials for the pizza shop style pizza tossing. It’s easier than it looks, really.

Sarah, on Feb 10, 05:21 PM, wrote:

Honestly, the best dough ever. So easy to mix it up, so easy to work with, and so easy to make variations with! I made it exactly as directed, aside from adding garlic powder to my dry ingredients, and it was fabulous. Made calzones, and had a little left over. So I tried the flatbread idea and LOVED it. I think I could eat it just like that. Also made for my parents, as it was my weekend to cook. They had no complaints and everyone wanted to claim the leftovers! Complete success, thank you so much!

super vag k+can, on Oct 31, 10:07 AM, wrote:

MAA’s original projections for 2009’s TIV was a modest 480,000 units, which they then revised upwards to 500,000 units in July 2009. So, a final figure of 536,905 vehicles sold in 2009 does not seem very bad at all does it?

John , on Nov 15, 03:16 PM, wrote:

I made you dough per Your Direction above
And it came out to WET and sticky!!!
I added more flower! about a 1/4 cup.
I went to punch it down after the first 30min were up and its still real Sticky!!!
Are you sure you use 2 1/2 cups flour and not 3 cups???

I make Pizza dough all the time Using a Wolfgang Puck recipe and I have never had any issue’s…

Toby Witte, on Jan 11, 01:24 PM, wrote:

I have had some fun making pizza dough with my daughters and have done it quite similar to yours. We took pictures of our trials: http://thesegirlslovefood.blogspot.com/2013/12/pizza-dough.html
Works like a charm!

danalu, on Feb 20, 06:33 AM, wrote:

Very simple recipe, yet tasty and healthy compared to frozen doughs. Add toppings right and give a wonderful pizza!

Carminia, on Aug 22, 11:34 AM, wrote:

I have been trying to make pizza for 6 yrs. Now and it’s always a big huge disappointment! I lost a family dough recipe that was so amazing, I missed it so much. I’m so grateful to have found your recipe because last night me and the hubby FINALLY was able to enjoy some homemade pizza! This is a keeper and I will put it in a lock box and pass it down to my daughter’s and son. I just wish I made a bigger pizza!!! We ate it so fast!

Chrisp, on Dec 23, 02:05 PM, wrote:

Great sauce if you have high speed blender [like vitamix]…..6 to 8 egg shaped to Roma style tomatoes, 1 clove garlic 2Tbls or more tomato paste and sea salt to taste..30 seconds on high….best fast fresh sauce ever. Almost want to drink it with a straw! Probably works with regular blender too!..also a good crust dpiping sauce!..add anything else you like.

Obat Radang Sendi, on Apr 22, 09:45 PM, wrote:

After exploring a few of the blog articles on your site, I really appreciate your way of writing a blog. I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon. Take a look at my web site as well and let me know your opinion.

Obat TBC Tulang Belakang
Obat Abses Payudara
Cara Supaya Anak Mau Makan
Penyebab Tukak Lambung
Obat Herbal Kanker Paru Paru

Obat Wasir, on Jun 14, 09:08 PM, wrote:

help with assignment | Assignmentdoer, on Jun 21, 02:43 AM, wrote:

Pizza mixture is entirely basic, however it needs to rise, so on the off chance that you have to make it quick, simply go to the store and lift some up in the segment close to the refrigerated bread jars.

plasterers bristol, on Jun 28, 08:35 AM, wrote:

This turned out perfect for us, great tasting recipe. thanks.

Simon

Nursing Writing Help, on Sep 15, 11:52 PM, wrote:

BBA Dissertation Help, on Sep 16, 03:09 AM, wrote:

I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share Your informative post.

Bose IE2 Audio Headphones Review, on Sep 16, 03:58 AM, wrote:

Great Information,it has lot for stuff which is informative.I will share the post with my friends.

Programming Computer Network, on Sep 16, 04:47 AM, wrote:

Good essay thank you so much i will find you again. hope to read smth like this next time

MBA Report Writing, on Sep 16, 05:23 AM, wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time for you to share such a nice details.

click here to go to website, on Oct 10, 01:11 AM, wrote:

Click hete to go to website which gives you money for your use for free.

free itunes codes generator, on Nov 29, 12:02 AM, wrote:

hurry hurry hurry free itunes code generator is waiting for you and you can get it click the link to learn how.

google pixel, on Dec 23, 11:43 PM, wrote:

in my opinion all type of pizza are delicious.
بازی آنلاین فوتبال خیابانی

<a href=“https://sabtefarda.com/” title=“ثبت شرکت”>ثبت شرکت</a>
<a href=“https://sabtefarda.com/” title=“مراحل ثبت شرکت “>مراحل ثبت شرکت </a>
<a href=“https://goo.gl/u5nI91” title=“اخذ گرید”>اخذ گرید</a>
<a href=“http://sabtesafir.ir/” title=“ثبت برند”>ثبت برند</a>
<a href=“https://goo.gl/slGuj3” title=“اخذ جی ام پی”>اخذ جی ام پی</a>

Case study solutions, on Mar 28, 11:48 PM, wrote:

Dissertation Guidance Provides quality Online Dissertation Help for students.

Electrical Assignment Online Help, on Mar 29, 01:02 AM, wrote:

Dissertation Guidance Provides quality Online Dissertation Help for students.

buy harvard or Ivey case study solutions, on Mar 29, 03:02 AM, wrote:

This site and the resources you provide is really nice keep it up. Such a nice post, keep providing good resources.

Economics Assignment Help, on Mar 29, 04:15 AM, wrote:

I appreciate your efforts in preparing this post. I really like your blog articles.

Electronics Engineering Assignment Help, on Mar 29, 04:53 AM, wrote:

I personally like your post; you have shared good insights and experiences. Keep it up.

Assignment Help, on Mar 29, 05:27 AM, wrote:

This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a useful information here in the blog.

vincity, on Apr 7, 02:53 AM, wrote:

thank you. hey gabi! just curious, do you ever make your own pizza sauce? it would be great to have a recipe or to know if there’s a particularly good broke-ass-friendly version on the market!

giaphatland.vn/properties/ban-can-ho-chung-cu-sensation-thao-dien-quan-2, on Apr 7, 03:22 AM, wrote:

ban-can-ho-chung-cu-water-bay-quan-2, on Apr 7, 03:26 AM, wrote:

Pizza Simply roll dough out into an 6-inch circle, fill with your favorite ingredients, fold over, pinch the edges together until sealed, brush the top with olive oil and bake at 475F on a floured baking tray for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.

shopdophuot.vn, on Apr 7, 03:54 AM, wrote:

Homemade tortillas While not a strictly traditional tortilla recipe, thinly rolled and lightly fried bits of pizza dough double very tastily as flour tortillas. I especially love to fill them with cotija cheese, black beans, avocado, onions and cilantro.

giaphatland.vn/ban-can-ho-chung-cu-millennium-ben-van-don-quan-4, on Apr 7, 03:57 AM, wrote:

Thanks for share. This a good way to appreciate the teacher as they put their efforts to train students. UK dissertation Writers appreciates the teachers.

thuocbothan.com, on Apr 14, 08:15 PM, wrote:

Thank you for sharing good and useful information. I would love to read your post after hours of tiring work at Vinacost (my company) I always expect newer posts from you. It can be said that I am a big fan of you.

giantinhmachchan, on Apr 14, 08:52 PM, wrote:

Hello! I read the articles on your page, it’s really great! I will share your website with my other friends, I think they will love it. Thanks for your post.Visit my website: http://giantinhmachchan.vn/ (Varicose Veins is a website that provides information on leg vein varicose disease and how to treat varicose veins. Provides varicose veins and varicose creams like Varikosette, Varicofix, venpoten…)

Ventricular dilatation is a chronic disease that is common in men and women over the age of 30, with a 70% increase in varicose disease in women. According to the statistics of major hospitals worldwide, the incidence of the disease is on the rise. It usually occurs in people who are often sedentary, standing or sitting for a long time, causing blockage of blood vessel walls leading to varicose veins.

Ventricular varicose veins, also known as hypopituitarism, is a term for the decline of the venous drainage function of the venous system in the foot region leading to stagnation. Hemodynamic changes and changes in surrounding tissue. The mechanism of disease formation is due to the damage of valves in the vein when subjected to a great and long-lasting pressure, causing the blood to flow counterclockwise from its circulation. Instead of blood being pumped from the foot to the heart in the circulation, the blood circulates in the opposite direction and increases the pressure inside the vein leading to leg vein depletion.

The decline in blood flow to the heart leads to varicose varicose symptoms such as aches and pains, leg aches, leg aches, feeling like ants, aching feet, cramps or cramps at night. Should not be treated in time, it can lead to difficult conditions such as eczema, foot ulcers, bleeding, dilated veins, inflammation of the veins. Shallow blood, …

Often the main causes of leg vein diseases are mainly due to daily habits such as sitting for a long time, being sedentary like office workers, models, workers, … Due to age This is due to the aging of the body, possibly due to trafficking, pregnant women or the use of high heels … These can all be the cause of leg vein diseases.

Do My Programming Homework, on Apr 20, 10:41 PM, wrote:

Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I will see some really good result soon.

Longmire Season 6, on Apr 24, 04:45 AM, wrote:

great piece of work really appreciate your work..!!

Help With R Programming Homework, on May 16, 11:19 PM, wrote:

They are not able to finish the writing assignments on time. For some students, writing any writing assignments is able to waste their time

Stromanbieter, on May 22, 02:06 AM, wrote:

I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again!