Grilled Sausages with Lemon-Parsley Quinoa and Strawberry-Fig Relish
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $16.50
- 3 Comments
I almost kissed the guy at the farmers market when he offered me the 2 remaining baskets of figs at a seriously discounted price. I look forward to fresh figs all year and, while I’m perfectly happy just eating them plain, stem and all, this relish is awesome.
- 2 fully-cooked sausages, any kind $4
- 1 tsp olive oil Pantry
- 6 large fresh figs $4
- 4 large fresh strawberries $2
- 1 small bunch basil leaves $1
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar $3 for a 16 oz.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 cup quinoa $2
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped finely $1
- juice and zest of 1 lemon $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside.
- Slice sausages on the bias. Heat the olive oil in a grill pan or heavy frying pan over high heat. Cook sausages until marks appear. Flip and cook on the other side.
- In a food processor or blender, combine 5 of the figs, the strawberries, the basil, one clove of garlic and the cider vinegar. Puree until smooth with small chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss slightly-cooled quinoa with the lemon, remaining garlic, and parsley.
- To assemble dish, make a mound of quinoa on each plate. Spoon the relish around the edge of the quinoa and arrange the sausage slices atop the quinoa. Top each mound with half of a fig and a little more basil for garnish.