Fig and Caramelized Onion Pizza
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 18 Comments
As you know, I love figs, as well as pizza …so I figured there was no reason I couldn’t have figs on pizza. Turned out I was seriously onto something as the heat of the oven drew out the figs’ sugars and it was like eating pizza with perfect little bites of fig jam. This pizza is intentionally light on cheese so as to accentuate the other delicious toppings.
- 1/2 recipe pizza dough $1.50
- flour for rolling and dusting pan Pantry
- 1 medium tomato, diced $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 small bunch basil leaves, chopped $1
- 4 fresh figs, sliced $4 for a carton
- 1 small white onion, sliced $0.50
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, shredded $3
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F and lightly flour a baking or pizza pan.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion slices and allow to cook slowly, stirring infrequently, until they caramelize. This should take several minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a 10" circle. Transfer to pan. Top with tomato mixture, followed by the cheese. Top with fig slices and caramelized onions.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust is crisp and cheese is melted and brown.