Grilled Sausages with Balsamic Cabbage and Apples
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $10.00
- 16 Comments
This is one of those great thumbnail recipes that can be quickly whipped up using a very short list of ingredients. It’s satisfying on its own, but if you want to add a starch, we suggest simple buttered noodles. We like to pair this dish with Stella Artois.
- 3 large, good-quality grilling sausages, sliced on the bias (we like chicken-apple or vegan sun-dried tomato) $6
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced $1
- 2 medium apples (fuji, gala, granny smith, whatever looks good), cored and sliced thinly $1
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cored and sliced thinly $1
- olive oil Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- balsamic vinegar Pantry
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish $1
- To make the cabbage, Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the apple slices and cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown. Add the cabbage and cook everything together for 7-8 minutes or until cabbage begins to soften. Drizzle 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar over the cabbage and toss well to coat (tongs work well for this). Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the balsamic has been absorbed by the cabbage, apples, and onions. Season well with salt and pepper.
- To cook the sausages, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a grill pan (or regular skillet) over high heat. Grill sausage slices 2-3 minutes on each side until the skin has caramelized and the inside is cooked.
- To serve, Heap a pile of the cabbage mixture on a plate and arrange half of the grilled sausage slices atop. Garnish with a little fresh parsley.