Ginger-Scallion Meatballs with Roasted Yams in Peanut Sauce
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:18
- 9 Comments
James and I spend a lot of time together. His mom is one of my best friends and so the three of us make frequent trips to Duc Loi, our favorite Asian specialty store, to do our grocery shopping together. Today, we wandered the aisles, gurgling and being cute (well, his mom and I wandered, James took care of the cute gurgling), wondering what to make for dinner. This is what we came up with, and let me just tell you, it is beyond delicious. Not as delicious as James, of course, but pretty damn delicious.
- 1 lb ground pork (feel free to use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer) $2
- 1 1” piece ginger, peeled and chopped $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 2 scallions, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced $0.50
- 2 tsp soy sauce Pantry
- 1-2 tsp (more/less to taste) Asian chili sauce price included in cost of peanut sauce ingredients
- 1 medium garnet yam (reddish skin with bright orange flesh), scrubbed and diced $0.50
- salt to taste Pantry
- 1/2 cup peanut sauce $7
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped price included in cost of peanut sauce ingredients
Total Cost of Ingredients $11.50
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine pork, ginger, garlic, scallions, onion, soy sauce and chili sauce. Use hands to mix well. Form into golf ball-sized balls and place on one half of the prepared baking sheet.
Spread the diced sweet potato evenly on the other half of the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through but still juicy. Leave the oven on.
Pour the peanut sauce into the bottom of a large pie/casserole dish, cast iron or other oven-proof skillet. Arrange the meatballs evenly in the sauce and scatter the sweet potatoes around the meatballs. Return to the oven and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until peanut sauce is heated.
Top with a shower of chopped cilantro and serve immediately.