Fettuccine with Pumpkin Alfredo
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Estimated Cost $11.50
- 10 Comments
There's something so soothing about a bowl of creamy pasta, especially as the days grow colder. It's hugs your soul and lets you know that everything is going to be OK.
It also, if you're like me, makes a pretty direct beeline for your hips, like a catty reminder that you really could have had a salad.
This version, however, makes use of creamy pureed pumpkin to thicken a rich sauce (much like in my Brown Butter-Pumpkin Mac and Cheese), rendering it thick and lush, but with a hefty dose of fiber and a gorgeous autumnal flavor.
I like this topped with crunchy toasted pepitas, but it's also beyond with caramelized onions and/or fried sage.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter $1 for a stick
- 1 clove garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 cup milk (any fat percentage) $1.50 for a pint
- 2/3 cup unsweetened, pureed pumpkin $2 for a 15-oz. can
- 1/4 cup plus a few pinches shredded Parmesan $3.50 for 8 oz.
- dash nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 8 oz. dry fettuccine (or other thick strand pasta) $2 for 16 oz.
- toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) optional
Recipe Serves 2-3
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, pumpkin and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Whisk over medium heat, until a sauce begins to form.
- Let the sauce cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring ever other minute or so, until thick and creamy. Turn the heat off once the sauce is nice and thick.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce cooks, cook the fettuccine in salted boiling water for about 1 minute less than the package directions suggest.
- Drain and set aside, reserving about 1/8 cup cooking water.
- Transfer the cooked pasta and the reserved cooking water to the saucepan with the pumpkin sauce.
- Add the remaining pinches of Parmesan.
- Toss gently to combine, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickenes even more and adheres to the pasta.
- Serve, topped with black pepper and the toasted pepitas, if desired.