Brown Butter-Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

• Prep Time 0:15
  • Cook Time 0:22
  • Estimated Cost $9.50
  • 47 Comments

I am loving pumpkin lately. It adds an earthy richness to dishes, plus lots of fiber, few calories and zero fat. Since I’m constantly reinventing mac and cheese, I figured I might as well try it with pumpkin.

The result was a creamy, satisfying mac with a rich sauce that will make you want to lick your plate. Brown butter, aged white cheddar and nutmeg perfectly complement autumnal pumpkin and taste so rich, you will forget that this dish has less than half of the fat and calories of regular mac and cheese.

Want step-by-step videos of this recipe? Cook it along with me on Appetites for iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch!

Ingredients

• 8 oz. elbow macaroni, penne, shells or other small pasta shape $1 for 16 oz.
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter plus more for the pan $1 for a stick
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour Pantry
  • 3/4 cup milk (any kind) $1 for a pint
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin $1.50 for a 15-oz. can
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp shredded aged white cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
  • dash nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
  • salt and pepper to taste Pantry

Recipe Serves 4

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter an 11"x13" baking pan or 4 ramekins/oven-proof bowls
  2. Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions.
  3. While macaroni cooks, melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. As soon as it begins to brown, add the flour and whisk until you have a very sticky dough.
  4. Slowly whisk in the milk to form a creamy white sauce.
  5. Continue whisking as you add the pumpkin and 1/2 cup of the white cheddar. You should have a very creamy orange sauce. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
  6. Drain the pasta and return it to its pot. Use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat the pasta evenly.
  7. Scrape the sauced pasta into the prepared pan(s) and top with the reserved cheddar plus more salt and pepper.
  8. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the cheese is very bubbly and lightly browned on top. Serve hot.

BeeBee, on Oct 18, 06:38 PM, wrote:

I made this not telling the family that the secret ingredient is pumpkin. Well, the pumpkin hater LOVED it. It is delicious. Thanks!

Mike, on Oct 20, 07:09 AM, wrote:

I made this last night, it was a big hit! The only thing I would change is using even more pumpkin (I used about half of a fresh sugar pumpkin).

Michelle Hon, on Oct 20, 07:20 AM, wrote:

I love pumpkin and I love cheese! I might just add this as a daily special at my soup bar. Thank you for the great recipe!

Angie, on Oct 21, 05:38 AM, wrote:

Made this on Tuesday and it was fantastic – thanks for another m&c variation!

Chad F., on Oct 23, 10:18 AM, wrote:

Made this one last night. Came out fantastic!! Even better was that we had most of the ingredients already in the house, so it was nice and cheap. Great recipe!

Heidi, on Oct 25, 02:28 PM, wrote:

I diverted some of the squash I was putting in the squash-apple soup for this and it turned out great!

Laura, on Oct 26, 03:44 PM, wrote:

Made this tonight and it was fantastic! I’ve always loved butternut squash mac and cheese but had never made it and when I saw this and that I had all the ingredients in my apartment I knew I HAD to make it! My boyfriend devoured it! Thank you so much for this simple, tasty and healthy recipe!

Morgan, on Nov 24, 01:10 PM, wrote:

i added toasted pumpkin seeds on top and it was tasty!

Lynn McCormick, on Mar 9, 05:32 PM, wrote:

I have tried and enjoyed many of your creations, but this is my favorite. I have made this over and over! Sometimes I have a little bit of a hard time finding white cheddar up here, but it is worth the hunt. I first made this just after you first posted this and it was the right time of year to process and freeze pumpkin.
Thanks for this wonderful site, I tell all my friends. Lynn

Lara, on Oct 1, 08:24 AM, wrote:

Just found this via Pinterest…can’t wait to make it!

celiamcmartin, on Oct 11, 06:40 PM, wrote:

I just made this, and it is great. I used a really sharp aged cheese and it is very tasty. thanks!

Haley, on Oct 14, 11:26 AM, wrote:

LOVED your mac and cheese! I’m featuring this recipe on my blog next week, thanks for sharing!!

Alice, on Oct 30, 08:27 PM, wrote:

All enjoyed this rich nutty dish! A perfect meal after gutting and carving pumpkins. YUMMY!

CulturalReform, on Oct 31, 08:27 PM, wrote:

Holy. Cow. I doubled the recipe and my roommates cleaned the pan within minutes. I think this one can be called BombAss Gourmet!

elleblue, on Nov 4, 10:36 PM, wrote:

I LOVE mac & cheese and am always looking for something new that is creamy and has less fat. THIS does the trick, thank you!

Jenn, on Nov 6, 02:13 PM, wrote:

Making this today for Sunday Funday football games. Wow, so delish! I also made the fire roasted tomato soup. Comfort food at it’s finest. Thanks.

cait, on Nov 12, 02:57 PM, wrote:

thank you SO much for this recipe! it has become my go-to mac & cheese recipe. i’m more than a little addicted to it, which means we eat it almost every week in my house :) thank you for such fabulous and cheap recipes!

Emily, on Nov 28, 11:21 AM, wrote:

Big hit on Thanksgiving! Everyone loved it, including my sister-in-law. She has high mac & cheese standards and this passed with flying colors.

Urbang, on Dec 7, 05:42 PM, wrote:

I added corn flakes to to the top for a bit of crunch, very tasty!!

Amanda, on Sep 3, 01:14 PM, wrote:

I made your Pumpkin Mac and Cheese tonight and boy was it wonderful! I tried a Pumpkin Mac and Cheese recipe last year (cant remember by whom) and it just wasnt so great. I am glad I took a second try with your recipe because I loved it! I followed your recipe to a tee, except I added some topping to it :crushed corn flakes, panko breadcrumbs, crushed walnuts, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon. Stirred it all together and sprinkled on top of the mac!! Added a nice crunch and extra flavor!

Adriann, on Sep 30, 05:58 PM, wrote:

I don’t have any pumpkin on hand, but in true brokeass fashion, I used what was in the fridge. And I have BROCCOLI! (I get a farm box, so the veggies just keep coming). So, with your inspiration, we’re having broc n cheese casserole for dinner!

Tamara, on Jan 25, 03:55 PM, wrote:

I tried this tonight. I must admit, when I opened the can of pumpkin and smelled how strong it was, I was worried. I mean, I love pumpkin pie, but that’s pumpkin pie. Totally different. Finished baking and although it looked great, I was still worried. I just had a bowl and I must say, it is AMAZING!! I will be using pumpkin (and this recipe) in all future Mac and Cheese!!! Side note: I used 2% sharp cheddar and fat free milk for an even healthier version.

Swigsii, on Sep 25, 07:42 AM, wrote:

flour+butter is a roux

Dyana, on Oct 11, 11:53 AM, wrote:

Hi! I’m excited to try this! I am going to a party Sunday but would love to make this ahead on Sat. Has anyone tried that? Will it work okay? Should I do everything but baking the day before and then just bake it on Sunday? Any advice would be appreciated!

Buy Replica Chopard Watches, on Oct 31, 09:56 AM, wrote:

Even though the music function is connected to the alarm, it can of course be activated on demand via a pusher at 10 o’clock. You’ll need that when wanting to show it off to friends.

Crystal, on Jun 30, 08:00 PM, wrote:

This sounds amazing, and I can’t wait to make it! After reading all the beautiful comments, I can’t wait to try it!

nunezsky, on Oct 19, 03:58 PM, wrote:

It’s in the oven right now. I love cheese so i added way more than the recipe called for. Also added some cayenne. I’ll report my findings later… can’t wait to be a test bunny.

ballroomunbound.com, on Jun 11, 01:46 AM, wrote:

So, no matter what age or physical or mental health, ballroom dancing classes online can be the first step towards a healthier life.

Cobb Pawn & Gold, on Jun 18, 03:50 AM, wrote:

At least if you buy in the pawnshop, you are getting a great deal on your own. The main step to seem to comprehend is know very well what the value comes from the product or items that you’re searching at. I have had a friend that bought some golf clubs for 200 and Fifty Dollars, and then offered them on eBay for seven-hundred and Fifty Dollars. Have some fun!Visit: www.cobbgold.com

Home Inspector Concord, on Jun 20, 04:38 AM, wrote:

Should you hire an inspector suggested from your agent, you will find chances the inspector can make a study that won’t be totally honest. He might hurry with the inspection and report generation to expedite the procedure he might not mention certain details which can lead to cancellation from the deal. This isn’t true for each inspector, but there’s certainly some type of pressure with an inspector if he’s suggested by a real estate agent.

All Natural Organic Baby Products, on Jun 21, 05:10 AM, wrote:

Parables used as a chemical compound widely used in food product up shampoo baby wipes. In small doses, they are known for creating organ toxicity and reproductive damage.

Bitcoin VPS - Best VPS Hosting Server, on Jun 23, 05:28 AM, wrote:

The sport play is shaken up each time a new treasure resource is defined into this mix, and efficient cards are introduced that could manipulate your decks with a greater degree, in addition to manipulate other players’ actions! If you want to understand more about exactly how the underside game is carried out, please read our Dominion review. This review focuses on the nation: Alchemy expansion, which requires either the underside Dominion game or perhaps the standalone Intrigue expansion to see.

SEO Services NJ, on Jul 1, 11:38 PM, wrote:

SEO software and tools are crucial for understanding are you aware the very best methods for this site. Professional NJ Seo company analytics are pricey and hard to utilize that’s that you should consider having an SEO firm.

Best Fitness Wristbands Reviews - Healthcare Facilities, on Jul 7, 04:26 AM, wrote:

People who have rigorous stretches and aerobic exercise are encouraged to put on extra lengthy wrist protection wrist band that are reliable and sturdy. These bands are manufactured from cotton and terry cloth, which absorb perspiration too.

Las Vegas SEO, on Jul 7, 11:24 PM, wrote:

Internet search engine optimisation can be a complex and ever-evolving science, but to have the ability to intelligently interview a possible SEO provider you must understand there’s two primary types of SEO.

Plumbing services Toronto - Provide Best Service, on Jul 7, 11:24 PM, wrote:

Plumber’s antifreeze works inside a same manner as antifreeze for the vehicle. Winter is harsh also it will not spare the pipes. Antifreeze is the greatest possible plumbing metric once you flush your toilets. It truly does work well, which is an easy factor to pour a few glasses of the substance within the toilet. That you can do exactly the same factor using the relaxation from the divides linked to water pipe for example washer, dishwasher, etc.

Babette's Cafe, on Jul 8, 05:35 AM, wrote:

Two black grapes are created into red wine within the Loire Valley plus they mostly range from central area of the region. Red wine in the Loire is much rarer but Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir are utilized to have excellent red wines. A red Sancerre is made of Pinot Noir. The appellations of Chignon, Bourgeois and Saumur-Champing are recognized for their Cabernet Franc wines. Anjou and Anjou-Communities vino is also produced from Cabernet France.

Certifications in nursing- How to Getting Expert Nursing Certigications, on Jul 8, 11:34 PM, wrote:

After passing the exams you’ll be compensated using the certificate, and that means you could work like a Licensed Nursing Assistant. You’ll be employed in hospitals enhancing the rns using their daily schedule work and perhaps you’ll be helping monitoring and washing the medical equipments too. The recently licensed nursing assistants get compensated hourly and each hour level of salary is very impressive, additionally they get frequent pay raise and promotions with great career advancements.

7 Steps to Grow A Church - Best Church, on Jul 11, 04:25 AM, wrote:

Church book is extremely detailed oriented for individuals who wish to consume a step-by-step help guide to planting places of worship. It’s given us a clearer vision to apply while church planting, his book isn’t just a theory relies upon functionality and simple to follow guide. Church described that the prosperity of the church was based on the vision they embrace of making church planting places of worship. He thinks that needs to be what you want for that American Division also, it if really wants to alter the way situations are going.

Smog Hub, on Jul 13, 10:05 PM, wrote:

Heck, even our President is really a lawyer. Thus, we must ask could it be a good idea to get this to legislation. Recall the Ford Explorer <a href=“http://www.smoghub.com”>smog check</a> class-action suit that required lower Firestone Company, a business that was in a long time over 8-decades? It might be nice to achieve the auto service companies safe from such lawsuits, however, if a person ever is negligent or actively abusive (possibly a worker having a grudge) then individuals will want the authority to sue. So, I ask, so what can we all do?

gastric sleeve in mexico, on Jul 13, 10:06 PM, wrote:

Simultaneously, patients wish to go through the same degree of care and a focus at each clinic. They need freedom from going to any particular brand or location as with this fast-paced existence, it’s possible to attend any location at the time. So, treatment centres ought to be interchangeable to ensure that travel hrs and lots of inconveniences are cut lower to some great degree. In addition, clinic hrs should suit the schedule of patients to provide convenience and comfort.

Virgin Hair Extensions - Best virgin Hair Fixx, on Jul 14, 11:04 PM, wrote:

The introduction of our lab and installing of some research instruments aided our organization in pinpointing the main problems and locating the solutions for hair production and also the upkeep of the hair.

Eco-Pro Service Group, on Jul 15, 05:27 AM, wrote:

Common misunderstanding about professional carpet cleaning services is it’s pricey, bothersome, and something can clean a carpet you using self bought business machines or use stain removal items obtainable in DIY shop.

Splendor Design Group, on Jul 29, 04:49 AM, wrote:

To conquer your competition, your site ought to be designed much better than the website. You need to choose skilled web Company. Web professionals bring your website to the peak position by utilizing embedded tags so your website can look searching engines. A great company provides customer care to resolve your queries 24/7. They provide you reliable services just in case of upgrading or troubleshooting the web site.

Dentist in Tijuana Mexico - Best Service, on Jul 31, 11:18 PM, wrote:

Mexico presents a perfect place for dental and cosmetic surgeries. A regular flow people go through the border to among the greatest densities of dental practices on the planet. Lower costs and a lot of US qualified practitioners allow for a tough to show lower saving within the prices north from the border. Plastic surgeons may also offer lower costs than their northern counterparts with a few practices offering recuperation accommodation from the bustle of busy urban centers.

Amazoneledlights, on Aug 10, 10:20 PM, wrote:

There are many Introduced lighting good examples in the present-day where most of us can be helped by Introduced lighting inside our everyday existence. Under lighting for those cabinets is when most of us will uncover LEDs useful and also, since LEDs are small, directional we’ll see them useful for lighting kitchen work tops. Ideal when studying recipes from cookbooks .

Cheap Brazilian Hair - Good Service, on Aug 16, 10:35 PM, wrote:

A lot of women rave relating to this, since it provides them an amazing glow for their hair. However, this method also features its own risk. The chance of this really is that lots of companies have discovered methods to make inferior versions of the product. There are several formulas which contained chemicals. So, it is important that if an individual uses this kind of conditioning straightened, they use items from the company that does not make use of the toxic chemicals.