Cherry Pepper Romesco Sauce

• Prep Time 5 minutes
  • Cook Time 10 minutes
  • Estimated Cost $7
  • 21 Comments

I resolve to cook more in 2015.

I know that sounds absurd, since you are right reading my blog all about cooking, but hear me out.

I want to cook more, better, and deeper in 2015. I want to eat real, whole, lovingly-prepared food, even when I'm tired. Even when I've been in meetings and on airplanes all day long and all I want to do is order dumplings and eat them in bed.

I want to shop locally for fresh ingredients in small quantities, and cook them within a couple of days. Then I want to shop again.

I want to cook, serve, and eat food that is utterly delicious in its simpleness. I want to be inspired by the seasons, not by food or diet fads.

And I want to do it every day.

This is not always easy (see aforementioned meetings/airplanes/dumplings scenario), but I still want to try. So I'm going to start with sauce.

Building a meal around a sauce might seem counterintuitive (most people build meals around proteins), but it really helps me to plan meals better. Take, say, peanut sauce. If I make peanut sauce in the beginning of the week, I can make at least two or three meals with it. I can serve it with spring rolls and salad one night, then toss it with grilled chicken and broccoli and serve it over rice noodles. If I'm lucky enough to have more left, I can spoon it over grilled salmon and sauteed kale and serve it with brown rice.

Romesco sauce is a similarly versatile sauce. It hails from Catalonia, Spain, and is often served with grilled bread. Here I've tailored it to my tastes, using sweet-hot cherry peppers in place of the traditional roasted whole red bell peppers. They give the sauce a pleasant but gentle kick of spice.

I've also omitted the sometimes-called-for bread or bread crumbs, which I think make the sauce taste starchy. It's just peppers, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, almonds, good extra virgin olive oil, pepper, and salt.

The sauce comes together in just a few minutes. An immersion blender makes the process easier (P.S. If you have a small kitchen, an immersion blender is a must-have appliance. It can do the work of several larger appliances, and it's small enough to be stored in a drawer), but a regular blender or food processor will also do the trick.

Once the sauce is pureed, it will keep in a jar for up to a week, but I highly doubt you'll be able to wait that long to start using it.

For dinner tonight, my plan is to grill some sausages, slice them up, and then cover them in romesco and Parm, and pop them under the broiler. Tomorrow, the leftover sauce will be my base for shakshuka for lunch, and then I'll toss some with roasted cauliflower to have with dinner.

Meanwhile, for lunch today, I spooned a little over a bit of ricotta and ate it with some seed crackers.

The romesco was garlicky, a little bit sweet, and just a touch on the spicy side. The creamy ricotta proved the perfect balancing addition, and the nutty crackers played nicely with the bits of almond in the sauce.

So what about you? What are your cooking resolutions for this year? Whatever they are, I invite and encourage you to get your sauce on.

Ingredients

• 1 16-ounce jar cherry peppers packed in vinegar (I love the kind from Trader Joe's$3
  • 1 15-ounce jar diced tomatoes (preferably the fire-roasted variety) $1.50
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped Pantry
  • 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds $1.50
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf or curly parsley, chopped $1 for a bunch
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Pantry
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper Pantry
  • salt to taste Pantry

Recipe Serves 6

Directions

1. Drain the cherry peppers, but reserve about 1/8 cup of their vinegar.
  2. Combine the cherry peppers, the reserved vinegar, and all remaining incredients except for the salt in a pot over medium heat and stir well.
  3. Cook for 5-10 minutes, just to gently mellow out the garlic.
  4. Puree using a food processor, blender, or immersion blender until desired consistency is reached (I like it slightly chunky).
  5. Season with salt to taste.
  6. Use the sauce immediately (see headnote for suggestions) or store in an airtight container for up to a week.

betsy, on Jan 7, 02:55 PM, wrote:

Love this recipe or any cheap and easy recipes I find!! There are great paleo and gluten free recipes at http://www.urbanpl8.com

Alex Chambers, on Jan 8, 06:58 AM, wrote:

This is a very unique sauce. I would love to try it with grilled fish and chicken. It will also do great with fried dish. Where have you gotten the idea of using cherry in a sauce? It’s really amazing!

CC BF 3175 CAMERA, on Aug 11, 11:10 PM, wrote:

Brilliant Blog!

James Kyne, on Apr 28, 03:40 AM, wrote:

First of all, thanks for this wonderful Cherry Pepper Romesco sauce recipe as it comes really suitable one to my tastes. This one comes as a new one to try out and can’t wait to be tasting it. I’m a resume writer and working for an online firm providing resume help to job seekers. I love cooking a lot and hence have managed some time to spend on it every week. What helping me to get recipe of new and new items is the online web sources like this one from you. Thank you and keep sharing new recipes here with us all.

Regards,
James Kyne

Assignment valley , on May 10, 03:04 AM, wrote:

These look delicious! Just discovered your blog and I love it! yummy food on a budget. Thank you and keep sharing new recipes here with us all.

Students Assignment Help, on Sep 28, 12:23 AM, wrote:

Cherry Pepper Romesco Sauce is yummy dish and cook time is 10 minutes, I will try on this holiday.

Luisa Dietrich, on Sep 28, 05:44 AM, wrote:

I am glad that you everyone enjoying cherry pepper romesco sauce because it is taste or yummy but i especially like the wonderful chicken dish.

Operations Management Homework Help, on Nov 1, 02:24 AM, wrote:

I personally like your post, you have shared good article. It will help me in great deal.

sociology help, on Nov 1, 03:17 AM, wrote:

It is very nice and informative website.KEEP IT UP…..

Assignment Help UK, on Nov 1, 03:51 AM, wrote:

Such a nice post, keep up the fantastic work

Statistics Homework Help, on Nov 1, 04:43 AM, wrote:

well Thanks a lot for such a wonderful post, the stuff posted were really interesting and useful. The quality of the content was good and clear.

HR Assignment Help, on Nov 1, 05:08 AM, wrote:

I hope everyone like this information they shared as I do. Really great information.

Godaddy Promo codes, on Nov 12, 12:03 AM, wrote:

I think sauce is tasty,i gonna try this,thanks for sharing the great recipe.

Zapya for PC, on Dec 7, 06:24 AM, wrote:

supeerb post it is. Thanks for this information x

KarenHeinz, on Dec 14, 01:02 AM, wrote:

I loved it.

method to remember passwords in microsoft edge, on Feb 27, 06:33 AM, wrote:

Now working is easy on PC, no need to remember the password and login again and again just login once and use that whenever you need to login.It is a browser which is made up for the best result and to save our time.widely used and people love this, it make thair work really easy.

Ajmer Escorts, on Mar 5, 11:44 PM, wrote:

This post is really astounding one! I was delighted to read this, very much useful. Many thanks

herp, on May 17, 12:16 AM, wrote:

Wow this really looks so tantalizing

hounslow-escorts.com, on Jun 13, 11:48 PM, wrote:

It is trully amazing dish.I must do that myself

breast implants, on Jun 19, 02:20 AM, wrote:

Awesome post. I am a normal visitor of your blog and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the excellent site. I’ll be a frequent visitor for a really long time.

http://www.fitnessguidefg.com, on Jul 16, 08:39 AM, wrote:

I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made in composing this article. I think this is an enlightening post and it is extremely valuable and proficient. along these lines