Bulgur Burritos with Minty Cabbage Slaw
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $14.25
- 8 Comments
For those of you who loved the BrokeAss bulgur bowl, here’s another tasty recipe featuring the delicious rice alternative. And, if you’re watching your waistline along with your budget, rest assured that this super-healthy, fiber-rich, meatless meal will satisfy your burrito cravings without making you look like a burrito.
- 1 tsp olive oil Pantry
- 1 15-oz. can black beans $1
- 4 large whole-wheat tortillas $4 for a package of 10
- 1/2 cup bulgur $1
- 1 red onion, diced, divided $0.50
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets $1
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese $3 for 10 oz.
- 1 small head red cabbage, sliced thinly $0.75
- 1 carrot, shredded $0.50
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped $1
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar $1.50 for 10 oz.
Recipe Serves 4
- Bring bulgur and 1 cup of water to a boil over high heat. Stir, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Salt lightly and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add half the onions and the garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes, until cooked but still crisp. Stir in beans and cook just until beans are hot. Remove from heat.
- Heat a large, dry frying pan over high heat. While it heats up, lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Layer with 1/4 of the cheese, bulgur, and bean-vegetable mixture. Roll up tightly, tucking in the ends.
- Cook seam-side-down in the dry pan until the tortilla becomes crisp and brown. Flip over and cook the top. This will also help melt the cheese.
- Slice burritos on the bias.
- To make the slaw, toss together the cabbage, remaining onion, carrot, mint and rice vinegar. Serve alongside the burritos.