- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $8.00
- 6 Comments
I adore bulgur, similar to brown rice but made from durum wheat. It’s very inexpensive, high in fiber and is delicious in tabbouleh, pilaf, alongside fish or grilled vegetables, but my favorite way to use it is in the following recipe for the ultimate satisfying yet simple meal. Buy the bulgur in the bulk section to save money (since you won’t be paying for packaging).
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- 1 large carrot, diced $0.50
- 1/2 white onion, diced $0.50
- 2 garlic cloves, minced Pantry
- 1 cup frozen green peas $1
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 cup dry bulgur $1
- 1 can black beans, drained $1
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese $2
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped $1
- 4 tbsp sour cream for garnish $1
Recipe Serves 2
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, carrots, peas, and 1/2 of the onion. Cook until onions are translucent. Add bulgur and cook for another minute. Then stir in 2 cups water and a sprinkle of salt. Cover and reduce to low. Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the beans in a small pot over medium heat or in the microwave, until heated through.
- Once the bulgur is cooked and the beans are hot, divide both between two serving bowls. Top with the remaining chopped onions and cilantro, cheese, and sour cream.