Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Cheddar
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:50
- Estimated Cost $7.50
- 22 Comments
Technically this is a side dish, but honestly, I would just as soon eat it on its own for my dinner, maybe with a green salad. The filling is a gorgeous combination of sweet and savory and the skins turn crisp and lightly candied.
This is a warm, comforting dish, particularly in the cold weather descending on San Francisco these days. Feel free to experiment with the cheeses and greens you make them with—I’m anxious to try them with creamy goat cheese.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, skin-on, scrubbed $1.50
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 clove garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped $0.50 for a whole onion
- 1 cup chopped kale (dinosaur or Tuscan), about 2-3 kale leaves $1 for a bunch
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (jack, Muenster or fontina would also work) $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 1 tbsp butter $1 for a stick
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce scrubbed sweet potatoes several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet.
- Roast sweet potatoes for 30-35 minutes, until cooked all the way through.
- While sweet potatoes roast, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until kale is very wilted. Remove from pan and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Let sweet potatoes cool for 5 minutes once you take them out of the oven (leave the oven on).
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the cooked flesh (you may need to leave a thin layer of flesh close to the skin to keep the skin from tearing).
- Place scooped-out sweet potato flesh into the mixing bowl with the onion-kale mixture and set the skins aside (you'll use them later).
- To the bowl, add most of the cheese (reserve a few pinches to top the sweet potatoes) and the butter and use a fork to mash the whole mixture together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture between the empty sweet potato skins and top each with a pinch of the shredded cheese and place the stuffed sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the cheese on top begins to bubble and brown. Serve immediately.