Chicken-Apple Meatballs with Honey and Sage
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:14
- Estimated Cost $9
- 34 Comments
Inspired by the popularity of chicken-apple sausages on menus everywhere, these easy meatballs provide the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Serve them with toothpicks as a pre-Thanksgiving appetizer, or make a meal of them with roasted sweet potatoes and a green salad. Turkey or even pork can be subbed for the chicken and thyme or rosemary would be nice in place of the sage. They can also be flattened, pan-fried in olive oil and served as breakfast sausages!
- extra virgin olive oil for greasing baking sheet Pantry
- lb ground chicken $3.50
- 1 large or 2 small tart apple(s), peeled and diced finely $0.50
- 1/4 medium onion, diced finely (about 1/4 cup diced) $0.50 for a whole onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced Pantry
- 1 egg, lightly-beaten $1.50 for 12
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs $2 for 8 oz.
- 1 tbsp honey Pantry
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped $1 for a bunch
- 3/4 tsp each salt and freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Using hands, form mixture into meatballs by rounded tablespoonful and arrange on the oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until meatballs are lightly-browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside.