Summer Harvest Breakfast Burritos with Heirloom Tomato-Avocado Salsa
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $14.25
- 22 Comments
I have had this version of the Breakfast Burrito, featuring fresh seasonal veggies, whole-wheat tortillas and a lively salsa nearly every morning this week. Today, as I rolled them for myself and my roommate, Kristina (hair stylist extraordinaire at Edo Hair Salon and Art Gallery, she rocks), it occurred to me that something so good and so easy shouldn’t be kept secret.
Note: the secret to making the salsa sing is to buy really ripe, fresh heirloom tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1/2 red onion, diced, divided $0.50
- 1 ear fresh corn $0.50
- 2 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and dried $1
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese $3 for 8 oz.
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (I like the ones from Alvarado Street Bakery) $2.50 for 6
- 1 small heirloom tomato, diced (about 1/2 cup) $2
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded and diced $0.25
- 1 ripe avocado, diced $1.50
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
- juice of 1/4 lemon $0.50
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add 1/2 the diced onion and allow to cook until very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, use a very sharp knife to cut the corn from the cob. Add to the frying pan.
- Add the spinach and cook until spinach begins to break down, stirring frequently, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs set. Turn off heat and stir in the shredded cheese, allowing it to melt.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, just to soften, or in a dry frying pan over high heat for a minute or two.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 4 tortillas and roll up the burritos, tucking in the ends. Slice on the bias.
- To make the salsa, combine the remaining onion, heirloom tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside the burritos.
Makes 4 small burritos.