- Prep Time 0:45
- Cook Time 0:42
- Estimated Cost $15.00
- 19 Comments
This recipe utilizes my favorite kitchen shortcut—won ton wrappers. Not only are they highly affordable fresh pasta at just $1.50 for a pound of them at my local Asian specialty market, but they’re also lighter in both texture and calories than traditional pasta. Moreover, they cook quickly and don’t need to be pre-boiled as with traditional lasagna noodles.
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 white onion, diced $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed Pantry
- 6 oz. feta cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 1/4 cup half-and-half $1.50 for a pint
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- pinch each salt and pepper Pantry
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
- zest of 1 lemon $0.50
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves $1
- about 30 small square won ton wrappers $1.50
- 4 cups spinach leaves, roughly chopped $1.50
- 1/8 cup sliced or slivered almonds $2 for 10 oz.
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8"x8" square pan. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onions until fragrant and light brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine garlic, feta, half-and-half, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon zest in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a layer of won ton wrappers on the bottom of the prepared baking pan (cut them with a knife or kitchen scissors to fit if you need to). Spoon 1/3 of the feta mixture over the won ton wrappers. Top with half of the spinach.
- Place a layer of won ton wrappers over the spinach and top with another 1/3 of the feta mixture. Scatter the onions over the feta mixture and top with another layer of wrappers.
- Top wrappers with the remaining 1/3 of the feta mixture, the remaining spinach and the almonds. Cover with wrappers.
- Drizzle top wrappers with a little extra virgin olive oil. Top with a sprinkle of almonds.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, covered.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares to serve.