Salted Fudge Brownies
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $14.50
- 25 Comments
Salted desserts are trendier than teen vampires right now, and with good reason. Flaky sea salt crystals enhance the chocolate’s earthiness and balance its rich, sweet notes, resulting in a dessert that is not only more delicious, but more interesting to eat because it engages more of the palate. Serve these on their own or with a scoop of homemade ice cream.
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter $1 for a stick
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips $2 for a 12-oz. bag
- 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa $4 for 6 oz.
- 1 cup sugar Pantry
- 1 egg $1.50 for 6
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract $4 for 4 oz.
- 1/2 cup flour Pantry
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt, plus more for sprinkling $2 for 15 oz.
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease an 8x8" square pan. Set aside.
- Fill a small saucepan about 2" high with tap water. Cover with a heat-proof bowl to create a double-boiler. Turn heat up to high and melt butter and chocolate chips in bowl, whisking frequently. Carefully remove bowl from pot and turn off heat.
- Transfer melted chocolate and butter into a mixing bowl and whisk in cocoa, sugar, egg, vanilla, flour and sea salt. Add about 1/2 cup water and whisk until mixture is very smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 18-20 minutes or until top is shiny and few crumbs cling to an inserted toothpick.
- Cool until the brownies are warm or room temperature. Cut into squares and top each square with a few sea salt crystals.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
JoVonn, on Jul 5, 03:21 PM, wrote:
Is it 1cup of sugar?
philandlauren, on Jul 6, 06:54 AM, wrote:
Great site-just came to it. As caterers, we obsess over food cost and it’s great to see someone applying this to blog or cookbook recipes. No one ever talks about cost and it’s absolutely useful, not just for economy, but because it teaches you really to know food, which is to turn simplicity into a tasty product. Great posts.
Summer, on Jul 12, 11:52 AM, wrote:
Oh God…I made these last night, and they were amazing! I freaking love your site; this isn’t the first time I’ve had a good result, but it is the first time I’ve commented! Thanks for all the excellent recipes!
Laura, on Aug 26, 07:45 PM, wrote:
These are pretty darn tasty.