Pistachio Rosewater Cupcakes with Fluffy “Buttercream” Frosting
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:22
- Estimated Cost $19.50
- 6 Comments
So, because it’s yours, mine, and everyone we know’s birthday this spring season I decided to be adorable and make cupcakes. Cupcakes are the best invention ever. Hands down. They are delicious, portable and cuddly. Well, almost. Metaphorically or whatever. Ok, enough of that. Seriously, what the fuck is up with everyone I ever knew having birthdays under the same astrological phase, if not on the cusp? Actually, this never happened until I moved to San Francisco. Which leads me to believe that Ariens and Taureans really LOVE sourdough, or maybe it’s the BDSM, not sure yet….Anyhoo, here’s a pretty non-vanilla cupcake recipe for all my favorite stubborn, loyal-to-a-fault friends and my favorite freaky ‘lil city… Recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt $3 for 10 oz.
- 2/3 cup soy or rice milk $1.50 for 12 oz.
- 1/3 cup canola/vegetable oil Pantry
- 3/4 cup plus two tbsp granulated sugar Pantry
- 2 tablespoons rose water $3 for 8 oz.
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour Pantry
- 2 tbsp cornstarch $2 for 10 oz.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 1/2 tsp baking soda Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- generous pinch of cardamom $2 for 1 oz.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios (if desired) $2
- 1/2 cup non hydrogenated shortening $2 for 1 stick
- ½ cup non hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance recommended) $1 for a stick
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted $1.50
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/4 cup plain soymilk (see above)
- 2 tbsp rosewater (see above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, soy milk, oil, sugar and rosewater. Sift in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, salt and pistachios if desired.
- Fill the liners three-quarters of the way. Bake 20-22 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- Using an electric or standing mixer, beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla, rosewater and soymilk and beat for another 5 minutes. Best kept cold.
- After cupcakes are cooled, frost as desired (note: the frosting is very sweet!) and garnish with pistachio nuts, or as desired. Enjoy!