Nouveau Italian Subs with Fresh Pesto
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:05
- Estimated Cost $19.00
- 4 Comments
The fresh pesto from my last post can be great on more than just pasta. I like to use it as a sandwich spread on this delicious take on the Italian sub. This sandwich is great with all different types of sausage—from Kielbasa to vegan—but feel free to omit it and just add extra mozzarella and vegetables.
- 1/4 cup fresh pesto $8.50 for 1.5 cups
- 2 fresh focaccia or sourdough sandwich rolls $2
- 2 Italian sausages, split lengthwise and either grilled or pan-fried $4
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced $0.50
- 1 small ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 6 1/4" slices $3
- 1 cup fresh spinach $1
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Heat rolls in a toaster or conventional oven for 5-10 minutes or until warm. Carefully split rolls and spread insides liberally with fresh pesto.
- On the bottom half of each roll layer half of the spinach, tomato slices and mozzarella. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add sausage (cut the sausages to fit into the sandwich roll if necessary). Top with the remaining half of the sandwich roll.