- Prep Time 0:05
- Estimated Cost $8.50
- 5 Comments
Fresh basil pesto is one of those foods that you’ve probably bought prepared, but once you make it fresh you will find yourself making it again and again. Fresh lemon juice and zest brightens up the flavors and keeps your pesto tasting fresh for days.
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves $2
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese $4
- 1/2 cup pine nuts $2
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled and ends removed Pantry
- 1/2 cup olive oil Pantry
- zest and juice of one lemon $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- Pummel all ingredients in a mortar and pestle (add the basil gradually so it breaks down without creating a huge mess). Alternatively, place all ingredients except lemon juice and olive oil in a food processor or blender and stream in liquids as the machine runs. Process until you have a smooth paste. Makes about 1 1/2 cups pesto.