- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 12 minutes
- Estimated Cost $5.50
- 15 Comments
The world has gone crazy for Cronuts™.
If you happen to live under a rock, and don't know what a Cronut™ is, it's a hybrid croissant-doughnut, invented by the good people at the Dominique Ansel Bakery. It has led the people of New York (and every other city where other bakeries' takes on the cronut have begun popping up) going nuts with anticipation, waiting in line for hours (or paying this dude to wait for them), just to get that deep-fried, flaky, buttery, layered confection. Oh, and, they're being sold on the black market at a 700% mark-up.
Yes, these are pastries we're talking about.
I was inspired, when my friend Aimee told me last weekend that, in protest of the ridiculousness of the line-waiting and pastry-scalping, she tried to make Cronut™ herself at home. Sadly, her efforts to make croissant dough yielded something, in her words, "brick-like," not the light, flaky Cronuts™ of her dreams.
As she told me of her trials, it occurred to me that pre-made crescent dough (the kind sold in the tubes, made famous by a certain giggling, tiny man made of dough) might be a viable hack. Sure enough, it worked out beautifully.
I make these a little bit smaller than conventional Cronuts™ (slightly less guilt that way), and top them with a simple powdered sugar glaze, so you can really taste all the buttery goodness. Feel free to get creative with icings or other flavorings (melted dark chocolate Cronuts™, anyone?).
Skip the line, save money and impress your friends: make Kronuts (with a K!) at home!
**Note: When I originally posted this, I called my creations Cronuts, however, the folks from Dominique Ansel have requested I call them something else, so as not to cause confusion. So, I'm going with Kronuts.**
- 1 8-ounce tube of ready-to-bake crescent roll dough $2.50
- vegetable or canola oil, for frying Pantry
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar $1.50 for 16 ounces
- 1/8 cup milk or half-and-half $1.50 for a pint
Recipe Serves 3-6
- Take the crescent roll dough out of its tube and place it on a lightly-floured surface.
- Gently unroll the dough, and gently pinch the perforated lines to seal, so you have one big sheet of dough.
- Fold the dough rectangle into thirds.
- Very gently roll with a rolling pin, just to smooth the dough.
- Use a 3-inch mason jar, glass or biscuit cutter to cut out 3 circles.
- Use a 1-inch shotglass to cut the middles and any remaining dough scraps into Kronut holes.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, until it reached 350 degrees F.
- Working in batches, fry the dough rounds and holes until golden-brown and puffy, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the fried Kronuts from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and the milk or half-and-half, until you have a thick glaze.
- Gently drizzle the glaze over the warm Kronuts.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
zozo, on Nov 16, 11:32 AM, wrote:
lol I’ve never heard of cronuts but I want one or twenty now…
Leroy steckler, on Oct 11, 08:11 AM, wrote:
Electric train, on Aug 17, 02:10 PM, wrote:
Continue on inspiring us with your writing! Keep on sharing.
AussiEssay, on Oct 26, 12:31 AM, wrote:
Delicious recipes update you have on your blog these are quite useful and helping. I hope through the recipes stuff the people would enjoy the delicious food while making. Keep it up to share the amazing recipes these are updated to all.
https://superbgrade.com/blog/50-good-exemplification-essay-topics-ideas, on Jul 9, 11:45 AM, wrote:
Do you have a hard time looking for the best exemplification essay topic? It is the right time to surf the website and get inspired. Tons of excellent themes, interesting ideas, and great samples offered for free.
2048, on Jul 27, 08:23 PM, wrote:
Your blog has some delectable recipe updates that are incredibly helpful.
casinosite, on Jan 16, 11:30 PM, wrote:
From some point on, I am preparing to build my site while browsing various sites. It is now somewhat completed. If you are interested, please come to play with casinosite !!
Barclays Bank Near Me - Branch / ATM Locations, on Feb 8, 08:32 AM, wrote:
I was looking for the recipes to make pizza at home I admire your great sharing of different recipes these are easy to make and well suggests. Keep it up and do share further recipes here these would be recommended.
Online volleyball betting ID provider in India, on Feb 13, 04:56 AM, wrote:
Get Online volleyball betting ID provider in India and make money online .
ice hockey ID providers,, on Feb 21, 10:54 PM, wrote:
Get ice hockey ID providers and make money online -..
best casino betting sites, on Feb 28, 10:16 PM, wrote:
Get best casino betting sites and make money online. .
best betting id in india, on Mar 8, 10:00 PM, wrote:
get best betting id in india and make money online.. ..
online casino betting ID provider in India, on Mar 8, 10:07 PM, wrote:
Get online casino betting ID provider in India and make money online. . .
high commission multi recharge software in rajasthan, on Mar 9, 04:21 AM, wrote:
high commission multi recharge software in rajasthan.. ..
best online cricket betting id provider, on Mar 15, 10:20 PM, wrote:
get best online cricket betting id provider and make money … …