- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $7.50
- 20 Comments
When we were kids, my little brother easily went through 2 pounds of these a week. Self-righteous vegetarian that I was at the time, I turned my nose up at them. Now that I am an omnivorous (and still self-righteous) adult, I see the error of my ways.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- 1 cup flour Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips $4.50
- 1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs $1.50 for 12 oz.
- olive oil for frying Pantry
- Beat egg with 1/8 cup water until foamy. Set aside.
- Mix generous pinches of salt and pepper into the flour. Set aside.
- Dredge the chicken strips, one at a time, in the flour mixture, ensuring they are completely covered. Dip each strip in the egg mixture and then immediately into the bread crumbs, shaking off the excess. Transfer to a clean plate.
- To cook, heat about 1" of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook strips, working in batches if necessary, until golden brown on one side. Flip and cook on the other side.
- As soon as you remove the strips from the pan, sprinkle them with salt.
- Serve with marinara sauce or creamy dressing.