Vegetable Quesadillas with Dipping Trio
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 9 Comments
Admittedly, the title of this recipe sounds like something you might order at Chili’s, but fear not. I will not lead you astray.
I actually decided to throw this one together after last night’s repeat visit to Chilango, where our hungry group consumed, in addition to duck flautas and filet mignon tacos, the simplest yet most delicious quesadillas. Just fresh, simple cheeses, vegetables and meats nestled into little corn tortillas and lightly grilled until the cheese was melted and the tortillas crisp. They came with little pots of guacamole, sour cream and spicy salsa. Moreover, it served as a great reminder that food need not be complicated or expensive to satisfy the taste buds and soul—just well-prepared with fresh ingredients.
- 8 6" corn tortillas $1 for 12
- 4 slices jack, mozzarella or other mild white cheese $3 for 8 oz.
- olive oil Pantry
- 1 small red onion, half finely diced, half sliced thinly $0.50
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced $0.50
- 1 small handful cilantro, chopped finely $1
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cored and diced $1
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced finely, seeds discarded if you prefer milder salsa $0.50
- juice of 1/2 lime $0.50
- salt to taste Pantry
- Sour cream to taste $1.50 for 4 oz.
- Guacamole, if desired
- Combine diced red onion, cilantro, diced tomatoes, jalapeño, lime and salt. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced bell peppers and allow to cook until onion is very fragrant and both onions and peppers are very soft. Remove from heat.
- To assemble quesadillas, place a slice of cheese atop one tortilla. Top cheese with a few spoonfuls of the onion-pepper mixture and top with a second tortilla. Repeat until you have 4 quesadillas.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a grill pan or regular frying pan over high heat. Grill quesadillas, working in batches if necessary, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tortillas are lightly crisp and cheese has melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve with the sour cream, previously assembled pico de gallo and guacamole if desired.
Makes 4 quesadillas.