Vegan Vanilla Rice Pudding with Toasted Coconut
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $14.00
- 1 Comment
This easy, homey dessert is the perfect finish to a spicy meal. Delicious hot or cold, it comes together quickly and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand already. I use soy milk in this vegan version because I like the nutty flavor it lends the pudding—very complementary of the coconut—but almond milk, rice milk or regular milk would work also.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil Pantry
- 1 cup short-grain rice (white or brown) $4 for 16 oz.
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk (preferably unsweetened) $2.50 for 32 oz.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract $4 for 4 oz.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar Pantry
- 1 tsp cinnamon $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/8 cup flaked coconut $2 for 14 oz.
Recipe Serves 2-4
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the rice and toast very lightly, stirring frequently. Slowly add the soy milk, little by little until it is all absorbed (this may take awhile--add more if necessary). Stir in vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon. Allow pudding to continue to cook, covered, until soft (about 15 minutes).
- While pudding cooks, toast the coconut in an ungreased frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until coconut is light golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, divide into bowls and garnish with toasted coconut and a little mint if desired.
- Serve hot or chilled.