Sweet Potato Nachos
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cook Time 30 minutes
- Estimated Cost $4.50
- 27 Comments
Life is exceedingly good these days.
The sun is shining like crazy here in San Francisco, thanks to our requisite October Indian summer.
Rosh Hashanah came (deliciously) and went, and September ended with a bang: the very exciting news that Young & Hungry, was picked up for a second season! The writers get started next week, and I simply cannot wait!
(I guarantee that in the second season, Gabi Diamond will be using every last one of those kitchen utensils.)
To celebrate all this awesomeness (and, because I was hungry), I whipped up this delicious, gluten-free, non-fried, absolutely fabulous nacho dish. Healthy sweet potatoes (one of my all-time favorite ingredients) get sliced, tossed with extra virgin olive oil, and lightly salted.
After a quick trip to the oven, and a flip halfway through, they get clustered together, ready to be cheesed.
Then cheese, oven time and delicious toppings get added, and you have yourself a glorious grain-free, lower-carb, but still utterly decadent appetizer, snack, or even lunch.
I mean, look at that.
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced into 1/8th-inch rounds $1
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- pinch of salt Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese $3.50 for 8 ounces
- chopped onion, chopped cilantro, sliced black olives, sliced jalapeños, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or other desired toppings Optional
Recipe Serves 2
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the sweet potato rounds into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and use your hands to toss well, coating each round.
- Arrange the oiled sweet potato rounds on a baking sheet, ensuring there is space between each one. Use 2 baking sheets if necessary.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake the sweet potato rounds for 12-13 minutes, until they begin to brown lightly.
- Once they have begun to brown, flip the rounds and bake for another 9-11 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven (but leave the oven on), flip the browned sweet potato rounds once again, and arrange in a cluster, so they are all touching (you may have to make 2 batches).
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the sweet potato rounds and return to the oven for another 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with desired toppings.
- Serve immediately.