Sweet Potato Frittata with Caramelized Onions and Cheddar
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $8.50
- 25 Comments
Easy to assemble and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner—or even tucked into a sandwich.
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium onion, sliced $0.50
- 1 medium garnet yam, cut into 1/4" thick slices (leave the skin on) $0.50
- 2 green onions, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk $1.50 for a pint
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8" pie pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil into a a medium frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, allowing to caramelize, for 7-8 minutes.
- Layer the sliced sweet potato in the oiled pie pan. Spread the caramelized onions in an even layer over the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
- Whisk the salt and pepper into the half-and-half or milk and eggs, then pour over the sweet potatoes, onions and green onions. Give the pie pan a gentle shake to distribute everything.
- Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for about 30 minutes, until the eggs are completely set and the top is browned and bubbly.
- Let cool slightly (or all the way to room temperature), then cut into wedges and serve.