Sweet Potato Frittata with Caramelized Onions and Cheddar
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- 9 Comments
Easy to assemble and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner—or even tucked into a sandwich.
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium onion, sliced $0.50
- 1 medium garnet yam, cut into 1/4” thick slices (leave the skin on) $0.50
- 2 green onions, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk $1.50 for a pint
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
Total Cost of Ingredients: $8.50
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8” pie pan and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil into a a medium frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, allowing to caramelize, for 7-8 minutes.
Layer the sliced sweet potato in the oiled pie pan. Spread the caramelized onions in an even layer over the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
Whisk the salt and pepper into the half-and-half or milk and eggs, then pour over the sweet potatoes, onions and green onions. Give the pie pan a gentle shake to distribute everything.
Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for about 30 minutes, until the eggs are completely set and the top is browned and bubbly.
Let cool slightly (or all the way to room temperature), then cut into wedges and serve.