Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 10 minutes
- Estimated Cost $12
- 11 Comments
Serve these tacos with a big mound of lightly dressed greens or slaw.
This is one of my favorite simple, quick dinners. It's made from whole, healthy ingredients and comes together in a snap. The beans provide protein and fiber, and the sweet potatoes balance the earthiness of the beans and onions.
I usually leave the cheese off this one, but it would be delicious with some aged cheddar, crumbled cotija or even a smear of fresh goat cheese. Serve these tacos with a big mound of lightly dressed greens or slaw.
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas $2 for 12
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 large (about 7" long) red garnet yam (sweet potato), scrubbed and diced into 3/4" cubes $1.50
- 1/2 medium onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin $1.50 for 1 oz
- 1/2 tsp Ancho chili powder $1.50 for 1 oz
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 15-oz. can black beans (preferably in a BPA-free can), rinsed and drained $2.50
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced $1.50
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 4
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm up while you prepare the other components of the taco.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed frying pan over medium heat. Add the diced yam and stir well to distribute the oil.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until the yams are cooked through (watch them carefully to make sure they don't burn).
- While the sweet potatoes cook, put the rinsed beans into a medium pot with about 1/4 cup water and heat over low heat until hot. Cover the pot and turn off the heat once the beans are heated through.
- Stir the onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder into the yam mixture, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the onion begins to brown slightly.
- To assemble the tacos, carefully remove the warm tortillas from the oven. Top each tortilla with a little bit of the yam mixture, a spoonful of beans, a couple of slices of avocado and a sprinkling of cilantro.
- Eat immediately.