Green Pea Salad with Mango, Macadamias and Mint
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cook Time 4 minutes
- Estimated Cost $10
- 12 Comments
While you're happy to return to your city and your apartment and your cat, you really miss the island, and all the ways it made you feel.
There are few things that force you to relax more than physically being on a tropical island. Things move more slowly. You slow down your breathing, your movement, and eventually--if you're lucky--your thoughts. Palm trees sway in the gentle breeze, the sunsets make your heart ache with their splendor and just by being in the moment, you are transported.
You tuck flowers behind your ear.
You frolic on sandy beaches.
You might even make a new friend.
But then you have to come home. And, while you're happy to return to your city and your apartment and your cat, you really miss the island, and all the ways it made you feel.
So, if you're like me, you channel those feelings of longing into a barbecue. You invite your friends over, you grill chicken and pineapple, you mix mai tais, and you make this cold pea salad, featuring fresh mango, mac nuts (as they call them on Hawaii) and lime juice--the flavors of your vacation.
Then, you take a deep breath, sip your mai tai, and admire the fog-obscured San Francisco sunset.
- 2 cups fresh, shelled Engish green peas (I buy mine at Trader Joe's or the farmer's market--frozen ones may be used in a pinch but they aren't as good) $3
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice of one lime $0.50
- 1 teaspoon honey Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ripe mango, diced $1.50
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped coarsely $4
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves, sliced thinly $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Steam the peas for 3-4 minutes (either over boiling water or in the microwave with a little bit of water), just until cooked through. You want them to still have a bit of crunch.
- While the peas cook, whisk together the olive oil, lime, honey and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow serving bowl. This is your dressing.
- Plunge the cooked peas into a bowl of ice water and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Add the cooked, cooled peas to the dressing and toss well to coat.
- Taste for salt, adding more if needed.
- Top the dressed peas with the mango, macadamia nuts and mint.
- Toss gently and serve immediately.