Strawberry-Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- Prep Time 0:20
- 22 Comments
This pretty salad features a gorgeous medley of sweet, tart and crunchy, pulled together with a lightly citrus-y poppy seed dressing. It makes a fine meal on its own if you’re trying to keep things light, but consider topping it with some freshly-grilled salmon, shrimp or chicken.
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar $1.50 for 12 oz.
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice of 1/2 lemon $0.50 for 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar or honey Pantry
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste Pantry
- 4 cups (packed) baby spinach $2
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced $3
- 3 oz. crumbled feta cheese $3.50 for 12 oz.
- 1/4 red onion, sliced very thinly $0.50 for a whole onion
- 2 tbsp shelled sunflower seeds $1.50 for 8 oz.
Total Cost of Ingredients $14
Whisk together the rice vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, poppy seeds, sugar or honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until ready to dress salad.
To assemble the salad, combine the spinach, strawberries, feta and onion in a bowl. Toss well with the dressing and serve, garnished with the sunflower seeds and black pepper to taste.