Spicy-Sweet Fried Plantains
- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:05
- Estimated Cost $3.50
- 6 Comments
This is what I would call a “thumbnail recipe”—a recipe that’s brief enough to be memorized (or, at least, a recipe with proportions that are negotiable, so even if you don’t memorize it precisely it will likely still be delicious). Serve these with sandwiches, eggs, on or alongside burgers, or just on their own.
- 3 tbsp brown sugar Pantry
- 1 tsp chili powder $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper Pantry
- 3 very ripe plantains, sliced on the bias $2
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Toss brown sugar, chili powder and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl. Gently toss sliced plantains in bowl to coat lightly.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add slices plantains, working in batches if necessary to ensure that each slice is exposed to the bottom of the pan to properly brown.
- Cook until slices are browned on one side, then flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve hot.