Spicy Shrimp-Asparagus Risotto
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $18.50
- 4 Comments
This rich risotto takes full advantage of the amazing asparagus that summer brings. It’s also delicious with scallops. Adjust the red pepper flakes as you see fit. For me, it’s the spicier, the better.
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice $2
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1/2 white onion, diced $0.50
- 6 stalks asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces $2
- 1/2 cup inexpensive white wine (ie: Charles Shaw) $2
- 8 large raw shrimp, deveined, tails removed, and cut into 1” pieces $5
- 1/4 cup half-and-half $1.50 for a pint
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped finely, plus a few whole leaves for garnish $1
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan, plus more for garnish $3
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add onions and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Add rice and allow to toast lightly, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in 3-4 cups water in half-cup increments until rice is cooked but not overly soft. This will take several minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir in asparagus, red pepper flakes, half-and-half and white wine. Allow to cook for about 1 minute or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in shrimp and fresh basil and cook just until the shrimp turn pink and firm. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Serve in bowls garnished with more Parmesan, red pepper flakes and fresh basil.