Spicy Heirloom Tomato-Parmesan Soup
- Prep Time 0: 10
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $13.00
- 1 Comment
One of the all-time best things about summer is heirloom tomatoes. Though they are so delicious that they hardly need more than a sprinkle of salt, I do like to blend them into this spicy, satisfying soup. For real comfort food, serve with grilled cheese.
- 6 ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into 1" chunks $5
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed $1
- 1/2 cup half-and-half $1.50 for 1/2 pint
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish $4
- red pepper flakes to taste $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Place tomatoes in a medium-sized pot and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add basil leaves and garlic. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Puree using immersion blender or remove from heat and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pot. Whisk in half-and-half, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with shaved Parmesan.