Sesame Crunch Tofu
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $7.00
- 5 Comments
Tofu stars in this unique dish, with a crispy sesame coating, which works over time to seal in the garlicky-gingery-soy-saucy deliciousness of the marinade. Hint: the marinade is delicious. Save any excess and use it again, either for the same recipe or on whatever meat, fish or tofu you choose.
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu $1.50
- 1 tbsp sesame oil $3 for 10 oz.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce Pantry
- 1 tbsp brown sugar Pantry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- 1/2 cup flour Pantry
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds $2
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Press the block of tofu in a clean dish towel to remove any excess liquid. Cut the tofu into 3-inch triangles. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger until well-incorporated. Place tofu pieces in the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- Combine flour and sesame seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- While oil heats, dredge marinated tofu pieces into flour-sesame seed mixture until well-covered on both sides. Place as many tofu pieces as will fit comfortably into the hot oil and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until brown and crisp. Add a little more oil if necessary as you go.
- Serve with greens and Asian chili sauce on the side.