Red Lentil Robot Booty Extravaganza Bonanza
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $16.25
- 2 Comments
I know what you’re all thinking: “It’s way too hot out to even think about making soup!” Well, yes, this is true. Nevertheless, I decided to take the risk and wear white after Labor Day…or whatever…never mind. The point is, lentils are good for you. So good for you in fact, that you should make this soup in spite of the ungodly readings on the thermostat. High in iron and packed with protein, this recipe is the spinach for all your Popeye needs this spring. But that’s not all me hardies! Kale’s and carrot’s copious amounts of vitamin A will not only help you recover from that sunburn, but also make certain your vision is sharp enough for you to keep wearing those Ray-Bans at night. Last but not least, kale is swimming with vitamin C, just the thing to keep that nasty scurvy at bay while you and your mates travel the seven seas….or at least navigate your way properly though your recipe’s robot/pirate/hipster themes….Who needs some more aloe?
- 8 Cups water free, for now
- 2 Cups red lentils $2.99 per pound, organic
- 1 cube bouillon (Rapunzel Vegan Vegetable Bouillon recommended) $3.29 for a pack of 8 cubes
- 3 cloves garlic Pantry
- ¾ bunch of organic curly kale, chopped $1.99 per bunch
- 2 large organic carrots, chopped $0.99
- 2 potatoes, cubed $1
- 1 sprig of organic fresh basil, chopped $1.99 per bunch
- generous pinch of coriander $1 for 1 oz.
- generous pinch dried ginger $1 for 1 oz.
- generous pinch cayenne pepper $1 for 1 oz.
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder $1 for 1 oz
- Bring water to a boil, and then add the bouillon cube, lentils, potatoes, carrots, garlic and spices….
- Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, and then add kale and basil…
- Simmer for 5-10 more minutes, until lentils are soft and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve hot. Add salt and fresh lemon juice to taste, if desired.