Sausage and Cheese Quiche
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:45
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 12 Comments
- 1 cup flour, plus more for rolling Pantry
- 1 very cold stick butter, cut into pieces $1
- salt Pantry
- 1/8 cup ice water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- 1 cup half-and-half $1.50 for 1pint
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese $3 for 8 oz.
- 1 6" grilling sausage, any kind, diced $2
- 1/2 red onion, diced $0.50
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped $1
- pepper Pantry
- 1 tbsp olive oil for greasing pan Pantry
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8" pie pan with olive oil and set aside.
- Combine flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles small peas. Slowly stream 1/8 cup ice water with machine running, just until dough comes together (you may need slightly more or less--just pay attention to the dough). Remove dough from machine, dust ball lightly with flour, place in a bowl and immediately refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Combine eggs and half-and-half and beat together. Stir in cheese, sausage, onion, parsley and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Transfer dough to the greased pie pan (if this is tricky, try rolling the dough onto the pin and then unrolling it over the greased pie pan). Press the dough gently into the pie pan, using your fingers or a fork to make a decorative crust (see here for help with this).
- Pour the prepared mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and custard is set and browned in spots.