$5 Dessert: Lemon-Basil Ice Cream
- Prep Time 2:00
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $4.50
- 18 Comments
This unique, brightly-flavored ice cream tastes like a sweet scoop of summer. Enjoy drizzled with a little bit of good olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- 2 cups half-and-half $1.50 for 1 pint
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar Pantry
- pinch of salt Pantry
- juice and zest of 1 lemon $0.50
- 1 small bunch basil (about 12 leaves) $1
- Whisk half-and-half, sugar, and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Tear basil leaves into small pieces and add, along with the lemon zest, to the hot liquid. Remove from heat, cover and allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain liquid and return to pot, over medium heat. Add about 1/2 cup hot liquid to eggs and whisk in gently. Slowly add egg mixture to half-and-half mixture in pot. Continue gently whisking liquid for 8-10 minutes, or until a somewhat thick custard forms. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in lemon juice quickly, so as to avoid curdling.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Freeze until hard enough to scoop.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups ice cream.