Salami-Mozzarella Baguette with Arugula Pesto
- Prep Time 0:20
- 896 Comments
I am a serial monogamist when it comes to sandwiches. I fall in love with a particular combination of bread, fillings and condiments and it becomes all I want. This combination of peppery arugula pesto, creamy buffalo mozzarella and savory salami is my current squeeze. It’s perfect picnic food, great for brown-bagging at work or school, or (my favorite) sliced into appetizer-sized bites, served with chilled prosecco on a warm evening.
- 2 cups (packed) fresh arugula $1.50
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed Pantry
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts $1
- salt and pepper Pantry
- 1 fresh baguette (any kind—I prefer sourdough) $1.50
- 6 oz. fresh (buffalo) mozzarella, sliced into medallions $4
- about 16 thin slices salami $3.50 for 6 oz.
Total Cost of Ingredients $11.50
In a blender or food processor, puree the arugula, garlic, oil and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Slice the baguette lengthwise and spread on both sides with the pesto. Layer the bottom half of the baguette with the mozzarella and the salami and top with more salt and pepper to taste. Top with the second half of the baguette and cut into 4 lunch-sized sandwiches or 8 appetizer-sized sandwiches.
Serves 4-8 (depending on sandwich size).