Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $5.50
- 21 Comments
Roasting a fruit or vegetable is a great way to bring out its natural sugars—and the tomatillo is no exception. This salsa has a lovely, versatile texture and is perfect over chicken or fish. Personally, I prefer it with chips and a cold beer.
- 3 regular tomatillos or 6 small ones, husk intact $1
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled Pantry
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and halved $0.50
- 1 small white onion, peeled and quartered $0.50
- 3 medium tomatoes, any type, quartered $2
- 1 small bunch cilantro $1
- juice of 1 lime $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Spread tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno, onion, and tomatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tomatillos are soft.
- Remove tomatillos from their husks and place in food processor or blender along with the other roasted vegetables and all remaining ingredients. Pulse to desired smoothness.
- Serve with chips, burritos, tacos, or over meat, fish or chicken.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups salsa.