Roasted Rapini-Carrot Salad
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $6.00
- 6 Comments
Don’t be intimidated by rapini (aka broccoli rabe). It can be bitter if eaten raw, but it sweetens after a dip in salty boiling water and some oven time.
This salad is a lesson in the magic of simple ingredients—olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, and garlic. You need little more to make this delicious instant classic. Salty feta perks this dish up and adds depth, but it’s not necessary.
- 4 carrots, sliced into 2" pieces, on the bias $1
- 1 small white onion, sliced $0.50
- 1 bunch rapini (broccoli rabe), rinsed, ends removed $1
- zest and juice of 1 lemon $0.50
- 2 oz. crumbled feta $3
- 2 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add rapini and cook until stems are tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Spread carrot slices, onion, rapini and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and use your fingers to coat the vegetables well with the oil.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are cooked and the onions brown slightly. Transfer to a serving platter and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to bring temperature down.
- To serve, toss with lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Top with crumbled feta.